Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Willimantic, CT Coin Show Sunday 26th

Best show in the state for darkside collectors. http://www.mansfieldnumismaticsociety.org/coinshow.htm

I'll be setup with my Canadian inventory - table 68/69. Jderm will also be setup with his darkside material - table 70/71. Allen Berman and approx 70 other dealers.

Come on out to say hello!

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
My Ebay

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

How was the show?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

I stopped your table at the show but didn't see your message till now!

Both of you have a very nice inventory!

I've also bout from JD a few times on eBay without realizing it was him.

The show was good and I almost pulled the trigger on a coin in JD's case but was worried I wouldn't have enough funds to pay for an item I ended up not winning on GreatCollections later that night.

How was the show for you?

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭

I arrived at 7am to setup to find several dealers already setup and window shopping while the others were setting up. One dealer was particularly annoying to JD. I'll let him tell the story if he wants to.

Traffic was heavy and steady from about 8:30 to noon. Got quiet for lunch then picked up till about two when suddenly it seemed that only dealers were walking the floor. By 3, half the dealers were packed up by 4 the place was empty.

I sold a lot of Canadian cents and tokens. All my sales were raw coins. A change of pace for me this year was the amount of collectors looking for modern BU business strike issues (which I had very little of) rather than the pre-1953 issues and key dates. This show is usually the best show for me and once again it met my expectations.

Had many good conversations and reintroductions with past customers, and made some new connections with collectors.

Only made one purchase - a PCGS EF40 1926 far 6 5c for stock. Got it from a dealer who found it in a bag of nickels he bought at exchange. Excellent profit for him with lots of room for me.

Sorry no photos - I don't have camera talent like The Penny Lady

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    jdmernjdmern Posts: 289 ✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2017 1:58PM

Show was great for us...

We typically do most of our sales online and through eBay, so for doing shows, it takes a good bit of prep work (as in reorganizing our entire inventory!)

We left for the show around 5:30 and started setup around 6:30, I had to send my assistant out to grab a couple of lights for the table since that was the one thing I forgot...

The 'annoying dealer' story Gene was referring to basically goes like this... At around 6:35, he comes by and is asking to go through my inventory... Considering I still had stuff in the car and was just starting to unpack, I asked him to come by a bit later... 4 times stopping by later, and still not even 7 AM, I pull out the coins he asked to see... After a 'lecture' about how slabs were pointless, and how no one collects coins in plastic, he finishes flipping through the pieces and tells me how he 'has bags of this stuff'...

The day got much better from there, tons of great conversation and met some new people, our sales were heavy on nice slabbed German and world pieces, as well as some nice larger buys of raw type coins... Shadydave, were you the one checking out the Irish pieces or the Zeppelin's, trying to put a face to usernames!

We stayed busy until right around 2, so I unfortunately was not able to buy much except for a couple of nice pieces a couple of dealers had put aside for me, Gene, I didn't realize you ended up buying that 1926, I told Ernie that would be the type of thing you would be looking for, but I got slammed right then, so I am glad you were able to work out a deal...

While there are many shows I like, Willimantic is always my favorite, in that there is great mix of newer collector, non-collectors, advanced collectors and dealers walking the floor!

I have a couple of photos, but for the life of me, I haven't been able to figure out uploading photos to this forum!

Justin Meunier

Boardwalk Numismatics

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jdmern said:

The day got much better from there, tons of great conversation and met some new people, our sales were heavy on nice slabbed German and world pieces, as well as some nice larger buys of raw type coins... Shadydave, were you the one checking out the Irish pieces or the Zeppelin's, trying to put a face to usernames!

Ireland, good to meet you. I owe you an email when I get a minute.