Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What is the most mass produced baseball card product of the mass produced era?

What brand and year is the most mass produced (over produced) baseball card?

1987 Topps? Fleer? Donruss?
1988 Topps? Fleer? Donruss?
1989 Topps? Fleer? Donruss?
1990 Topps? Fleer? Donruss?
1991 Topps? Fleer? Donruss?
1992 Topps? Fleer? Donruss?
1990 Upper Deck?
1991 Upper Deck?
1992 Upper Deck?

I am almost positive that it has to be one of those that I listed. Which ONE of those is the most over produced?

My vote is.......(after looking at my own list)......I really don't know!

Shane

Comments

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess is 1991 Donruss

• Options
    FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 466 ✭✭✭

My gut instinct is it is a 1991 issue as well.

• Options
    saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

1991 Score comes to mind.

1990 or 1991 Donruss are also candidates.

1991 Fleer

Definitely something from 1991

Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

I am going to go with 88 Donruss, for this reason.....the demand for 88 Donruss upon release, though, overproduced was very high, especially given the popularity of Mark Grace, Alomar and Gregg Jeffries rookies. A ton of that product was opened up back in the day, Compare that to the 1991 Donruss, which sucked upon release, sucked in the future and still sucks now, with no major rookies from the set.

The result is the appearance of less 88 Donruss available now than 1991. Just my opinion, either product will be available 50 years from now for next to nothing

IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

'91 was the 40th anniversary year of Topps. It was also the last year in which the company printed on cheap cardstock. I would say that Topps had the presses running a lot longer than these other guys, but the product sold and was still more popular than that awful '91 Donruss release. No less then 7 different variations of the same base design (i.e. Topps/OPC, Micro, Tiffany, Cracker Jack, Desert Shield, etc..).

• Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

Based on the number of cards for sale on Sportlots, I think the winner is 1987 Topps, and 1988 Donruss isn't far behind.

• Options
    OddRodzOddRodz Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

I dare anyone to buy all 661 Jay Tibbs cards for 18 cents apiece.

I vote for 1990 Upper Deck in this contest.

• Options
    tbonewillytbonewilly Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

1987 topps seems to be the most over-produced, but at the same time, there is a bit of value there, at least in rookies and HOF's. 1988 Donruss is right behind, but the value isn't there like it use to be. But both of them are fun and cheap case breaks (cello and racks for me) to find those cool HOF's and rookies showing.

Ken - Volunteered to work in Florida Keys, now freezing in Ohio
    Work in progress - Unopened Racks/Cello/Wax with star power for Baseball, Football and Basketball
    Collecting unopened 80's boxes and graded packs
    I may be hoarding too much 80's junk wax but I like it!
  • Options
    waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

@Brian48 said:
    '91 was the 40th anniversary year of Topps. It was also the last year in which the company printed on cheap cardstock. I would say that Topps had the presses running a lot longer than these other guys

I agree with this, 1991 Topps because of the 40th anniversary. Plus, I would say that Topps in general was produced more than the other guys because they were trying to get/keep the top spot as #1 in sports cards. All of the late 80s Topps baseball boxes say "The Real One", probably to differentiate themselves from the other guys.

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • Options

@waxman2745 said:
    I agree with this, 1991 Topps because of the 40th anniversary.

FWIW, the number of 1991 Topps cards for sale on Sportslots is only about half of 1987 Topps.

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 23, 2017 11:24AM

I vote 88 donruss

If you stamped a 88 donruss 1/1 would it be worth $1,000??

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 23, 2017 12:16PM

@addicted2ebay said:
    I vote 88 donruss

If you stamped a 88 donruss 1/1 would it be worth $1,000??

Don't give topps any buyback bs ideas...

• Options
    jsanzjsanz Posts: 250 ✭✭

I would say Topps in general was more available back then. It seemed like it was everywhere. Donruss was right behind and I remember Fleer being slightly harder to find. I want to say 1987 Topps but I feel like that was a little too early and the card boom was still on the upswing. Some of you might be right about 1991 product.

Reed from BBCE always says 1988 Donruss is the most available of the junk wax still.

Love those 70's - early 80's packs and boxes...send me a message if you are selling because I am buying
  • Options

My vote is 88 Donruss....it was everywhere. Only baseball issue that I've bought packs of in my life. Bought them at Wawa convenience store. I was out of the hobby by 1991(college).

Vintage Football Collector and Dolphins fan.
    First Cards ever collected - 1978 Topps Football.
    Working on a collection of the Top Ten FB Cards of each year from 1957-1987.
  • Options
    dmurphy3mvpdmurphy3mvp Posts: 264 ✭✭✭

@jsanz said:
    Reed from BBCE always says 1988 Donruss is the most available of the junk wax still.

Truth. Over the last 13 years, the only products I've ever been offered in quantities of 100 cases or more (other than the Myland closeouts) are 88 Donruss BB, 87 Topps BB, and 91/92 Stadium Club HK. I never bought the TSC HK (offered $12/case.) I have been offered 87T BB a few times, but each time the seller didn't want to "take a loss." We won't even bring up the meaning of the phrase "time value of money."

Not only have I bought 88D BB wax cases (a 100+ at a time) on multiple occasions, don't forget there are also factory sets, cello boxes, 10 box wax cases, rack packs, blister packs (plastic on a cardboard backing - two different sizes), counter displays, 8+2 wax cases (8 Donruss plus 2 leaf) and probably some configuration we have yet to discover.

Print run was probably higher in 89 over 88, or 90 over 89, but Donruss was also producing other stuff too (The Rookies, Traded, Baseball's Best, etc.) so then again, maybe not.

The best argument for Topps is the fact that they also made vending. However, they also had side projects (Traded, Minis, Big, etc.) plus other sports and non-sports.

Reed Kasaoka
    Buyer, Baseball Card Exchange

cell: (808) 372-1974
    email: ReedBBCE@gmail.com
    eBay stores: bbcexchange, bbcexchange2, bbcexchange3, bbcexchange4

• Options
    RookieWaxRookieWax Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭

@dmurphy3mvp said:

@jsanz said:

Truth. Over the last 13 years, the only products I've ever been offered in quantities of 100 cases or more (other than the Myland closeouts) are 88 Donruss BB, 87 Topps BB, and 91/92 Stadium Club HK. I never bought the TSC HK (offered $12/case.) I have been offered 87T BB a few times, but each time the seller didn't want to "take a loss." We won't even bring up the meaning of the phrase "time value of money."

Not only have I bought 88D BB wax cases (a 100+ at a time) on multiple occasions, don't forget there are also factory sets, cello boxes, 10 box wax cases, rack packs, blister packs (plastic on a cardboard backing - two different sizes), counter displays, 8+2 wax cases (8 Donruss plus 2 leaf) and probably some configuration we have yet to discover.

Print run was probably higher in 89 over 88, or 90 over 89, but Donruss was also producing other stuff too (The Rookies, Traded, Baseball's Best, etc.) so then again, maybe not.

The best argument for Topps is the fact that they also made vending. However, they also had side projects (Traded, Minis, Big, etc.) plus other sports and non-sports.

Reed, on the topic other Topps products from that era, why can't I find a full case of the 1989 Topps Big 3rd series cards? With low pops in PSA 10 of Randy Johnson and John Smoltz in the 3rd series, I have been looking for a case of that for the past 5 years with no luck. Single boxes are pretty scarce on ebay as well. Could it be because few dealers placed any orders with Topps on that stuff...as everyone was ordering 1989 Upper Deck baseball when the Topps Big 3rd series would have come out?

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

I'm going with 89 Donruss as the biggest print run. Although I don't disagree that 88d is the most available today.

• Options

How would it be though that 1988 Donruss had a print run higher than 1988 Topps ? In 1988 the only product ever available at the local quickie marts and grocery stores was Topps. Donruss I'm not sure made it to any mainstream distribution did it ? They could have printed 1/4 of what Topps did and pretty much 3/4 of that was stored in some turd burglar's storage shed because no one consigned in it. No ?

• Options
    dmurphy3mvpdmurphy3mvp Posts: 264 ✭✭✭

@RookieWax said:

Reed, on the topic other Topps products from that era, why can't I find a full case of the 1989 Topps Big 3rd series cards? With low pops in PSA 10 of Randy Johnson and John Smoltz in the 3rd series, I have been looking for a case of that for the past 5 years with no luck. Single boxes are pretty scarce on ebay as well. Could it be because few dealers placed any orders with Topps on that stuff...as everyone was ordering 1989 Upper Deck baseball when the Topps Big 3rd series would have come out?

I believe Topps Big failed because the community wasn't buying into having different size card holders, sheets, and storage boxes. By the time 1989 Bowman rolled out in the summer of 89, the oversized card experiment failed miserably. When you consider how much 88 Topps Big is out there in X-out form, you sort of knew that even though every product from the era sold, 89 Topps Big wouldn't. I think dealers got tired of it, so when 89 series 3 went to print, Topps made it more to order rather than having surplus. It also may have been treated like a seventh series product from the 60s - just make it because we sold some, then switch over the presses for football or some other non-sports (NKOTB?) Why stubbornly made 90 Topps Big is beyond my comprehension level.

Reed Kasaoka
    Buyer, Baseball Card Exchange

cell: (808) 372-1974
    email: ReedBBCE@gmail.com
    eBay stores: bbcexchange, bbcexchange2, bbcexchange3, bbcexchange4

• Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭

Gotta go with 88 Donruss as well. Iy just started showing up in masses everywhere, including retailers, department stores, grocery stores, etc. Everywhere I went I saw Dale Murphy smiling at me and it became a bit much. I knew my investment in Alomar's RC was in big trouble

The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    tonylagstonylags Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

I think the 1982 K Mart; should get a vote.

I have to much S**t; so if you working on sets or are a player/team collector, send me your want list, with conditions desired. Keep in mind I have a another job so please allow me a few days to respond.

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

All of the above

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a time to be alive.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options

Sir, stop hurting that young boy. No party with the boy ok ?

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

Counting the large amount Upper Deck printed after the main print run, I say it's the 1989 Ken Griffey Jr.

Steve

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it is 1987 Topps. They still had cello packs in some of the local convenience stores for sale in 1989 near me.

• Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4, 2017 6:38AM

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭✭

Such fond memories of this era for me. Working in the coin and card shop in high school. Organizing a monster box of '87 Topps in numerical -- sweeping up with the hand sweeper around the giant stacks of '88 Donruss boxes against the wall by the closet -- cleaning glass showcases in the back alley with a lemon spray that attracted every wasp in the area that Saturday summer afternoon -- and running to the deli across the street to get lunch.

Best part of it is looking at a wax box of '87 Topps or '88 Donruss brings it all back to me. Fun times! :smile:

• Options
    mouschimouschi Posts: 687 ✭✭✭✭

I wrote an article on 1991 topps here: http://tanmanbaseballfan.com/2015/10/1991-topps-the-100-card-glowing-backs-more.html. there were an estimated 4 million of each card produced. Inconceivable!

Tanner Jones, Author of Confessions of a Baseball Card Addict - Now Available on Amazon!
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

@OddRodz said:
    How would it be though that 1988 Donruss had a print run higher than 1988 Topps ? In 1988 the only product ever available at the local quickie marts and grocery stores was Topps. Donruss I'm not sure made it to any mainstream distribution did it ? They could have printed 1/4 of what Topps did and pretty much 3/4 of that was stored in some turd burglar's storage shed because no one consigned in it. No ?

In my area 88 Donruss actually sat on the shelves at the local Sam's club in cases. People were buying it but it was there in such quantity it took time for it to move. The dollar stores, Toys R US, Kay B Toys & convenience stores had racks packs and boxes by the dozens for months on end. Also in my area '88 Topps was hard to find on the shelves.

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

@ClockworkAngel said:
    Gotta go with 88 Donruss as well. Iy just started showing up in masses everywhere, including retailers, department stores, grocery stores, etc. Everywhere I went I saw Dale Murphy smiling at me and it became a bit much. I knew my investment in Alomar's RC was in big trouble

And Murph was normally off center!

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not sure but I have the most adverse reaction to 1990 Donruss. Just seeing the cards puts me in a bad mood. My vote for the worst set ever made

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options

@rexvos said:
    I am not sure but I have the most adverse reaction to 1990 Donruss. Just seeing the cards puts me in a bad mood. My vote for the worst set ever made

I second that. You forgot about the 100 or so different errors too. Dourness just gave up this year

The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
  • Options

@ClockworkAngel said:

@rexvos said:

I second that. You forgot about the 100 or so different errors too. Dourness just gave up this year

I remember buying tens of wax boxes in search of the four different Harold Baines all-star cards, including the one with a line thru the yellow star and Recent Major League Performance on the back.

Adam
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2017 7:33AM

Recently, I picked up some original Topps photos. One was for this card:

NO ONE wanted this type of card because it was just an advertisement ... however, people ... ok ... me ... are now seeing these kinds of things as collectible too. This card comes in several flavors with a different code in the back. There are no doubt millions of these cards.

Here is the original photo as seen on my site at cansecocollector.com :) You can see they photoshopped the head off the person between his legs LOL

I don't know why, but I get a thrill out of owning a piece that was used to make millions of other worthless pieces. It is kind of cool thinking that most every collection may have this somewhere, and I have the original pic!

Tanner Jones, Author of Confessions of a Baseball Card Addict - Now Available on Amazon!
  • Options
    tbonewillytbonewilly Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

@rexvos said:

I think I could handle the Donruss instead of those lovely 1991 Fleer cards...Freaking glowing yellow?? Butt ugly! Who had that bright idea :) The inserts were cool (and I still think pretty sweet), but the base set, geez, could use them as reflectors!

Ken - Volunteered to work in Florida Keys, now freezing in Ohio
    Work in progress - Unopened Racks/Cello/Wax with star power for Baseball, Football and Basketball
    Collecting unopened 80's boxes and graded packs
    I may be hoarding too much 80's junk wax but I like it!
  • Options

Speaking of all the BLECH early 90's cards, I did a few for fun on my site for Halloween a few years back.

Here is a pic of the card while I was messing around in photoshop when it was about 4 feet tall, lol

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not going to lie. I kind of like 91 Fleer. It is 92 Fleer base I do not like. I do love the inserts though

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options

The inserts in 1991 Fleer were the Rookie Sensations I think? I thought those cards looked amazing and would take off in value. I was picking up Thomas, Planter, Bagwell, etc whenever I could but they just fizzled out and got lost in the shuffle

• Options

@ClockworkAngel said:
    The inserts in 1991 Fleer were the Rookie Sensations I think? I thought those cards looked amazing and would take off in value. I was picking up Thomas, Planter, Bagwell, etc whenever I could but they just fizzled out and got lost in the shuffle

That was 1992. 1991 had the Pro Vision inserts.

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

My honest opinion is that 1987 & 1988 Topps has been produced the most.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

Have no idea about production numbers, but gotta go with 88 Donruss for availability in my neighborhood. They were everywhere!

I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • Options
    dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭

@OddRodz said:
    I dare anyone to buy all 661 Jay Tibbs cards for 18 cents apiece.

I vote for 1990 Upper Deck in this contest.

The shipping would be outrageous...

The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

It kind of looks like people's opinion is based upon the area they lived and grew up in...

Very interesting opinions.

Shane

• Options
    ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

I've got a kinda funny story involving 88 Donruss. Can't remember now how many years ago this was. One Halloween, I ran out of candy to pass out (I am the place you love to stop by as a kid, I pass it out almost by the shovel full). We live in the sticks, so a couple dozen kids would be a HUGE turnout. Anyway, no candy and kids still coming, what can I do?

I've got it!! Kids LOVE '88 Donruss!! Go to the card closet and bust out a box of that instant winner!! LOL

It was either that or start passing out beer :o

I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • Options
    jsanzjsanz Posts: 250 ✭✭

Seriously, passing out 1988 Donruss these days might be cheaper than passing out candy

Love those 70's - early 80's packs and boxes...send me a message if you are selling because I am buying
  • Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

Growing up in Upstate NY, Topps was everywhere for as long as I can remember...don't remember seeing AS MUCH Donruss, Fleer, Score, etc.

For my specific area, and from what I saw, I would say 1988-1989 Topps baseball. It was everywhere from country stores in towns with populations of 20 or less all the way to department stores. I saw 1988 Topps even when I didn't want to see it lol....

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

@rexvos said:

I agree with this Mike. That red border is nauseating. The only saving grace to this set was the emergence of the Aqueous test variation. Even then, still hard to see those cards and not cringe.

• Options
    saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

If you had access to Sam's club - I only remember them having Topps (and maybe Donruss?) back in 1990. But you could clean up at Sam's. And get a 2 gallon container of Lemonheads or Blow Pops.

Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options

@saucywombat said:
    If you had access to Sam's club - I only remember them having Topps (and maybe Donruss?) back in 1990. But you could clean up at Sam's. And get a 2 gallon container of Lemonheads or Blow Pops.

I remember in the mid-90s, Sam's Club was selling complete sets of 1987 Topps in sheet form. The 6 sheets were rolled up and were inside a box, like a giant box of aluminum foil.

Adam