Home U.S. Coin Forum

Pennsylvania Bullion Dealers Call Your Senators Today.

CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭

PENNSYLVANIA ALERT!

Dear PA Dealer,

Call your senators NOW!

The House of Representatives passed PA H 41 - Precious Metal Sale Regulation Law on March 21, 2017.

ICTA had conversations with the author of the bill, Representative Saccone, and sent a letter to the House Committee on Consumer Affairs objecting to the bill and requesting amendments. The bill was amended, but one of its key objects was not.

Please call and ask your Senator TODAY to oppose HB 41, which passed the House on March 21.

Talking points when calling your Senator:

Tell them who you are:
Identify yourself and your business, using your physical address.
Report the length of time you’ve done in business in Pennsylvania.
Provide your contact information in case the legislator wishes to respond.
Tell them why you are contacting them:
Ask them to oppose House Bill 41 (sponsor Rep. Saccone), a bill relating to “Precious Metal Sale Regulation Law.”
VERY IMPORTANT! Items #1 and #2 above are essential. 1) Fully identify yourself and your business, and 2) ask them to OPPOSE Rep. Saccone’s bill. Mention the bill by number, House Bill 41.

Here is the language we’re opposing in the bill:

(3) A photograph of each item purchased. THE ITEM, IF THE ITEM PURCHASED HAS ANY DISTINGUISHING DETAILS, INCLUDING IDENTIFYING MARKS, INITIALS, INSIGNIAS, INSCRIPTIONS OR OTHER UNIQUE IDENTIFYING FEATURES. The photograph shall be:

(i) taken from two different perspectives;
(ii) no less than 1:1 scale; and
(iii) of sufficient size and clarity to identify any distinguishing details.

Under this bill, you would be required to have two pictures of items per the language above; if you miss something and didn’t send it in, you are held criminally liable.

In calling your representative, state how HB 41 would affect you. For example, “This will bill would substantially increase my cost of doing business. Under this law, I would have to hire an additional person(s) to be able to comply.”

We cannot stress enough the urgency of making these contacts TODAY. Thank you for your time and attention on this very important request.

Please forward this email to other Pennsylvania coin-business owners.

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

Comments

• RockyMtnProspectorRockyMtnProspector Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭

That entire bill sounds like garbage (I read the full bill at the PA legislature site).

GSAs, OBW rolls, Seated, Walkers. Anything old and Colorado-focused, CO nationals.

Gonna get me a $50 Octagonal someday. Some. Day.
  • CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

:)

• boyernumismaticsboyernumismatics Posts: 473 ✭✭✭✭

What complete and total BS and I would like to see PA police forces TRY and regulate it...

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Crap bill indeed!

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RichieURich said:
    I read the full bill also. The bill requires the pictures described above for any purchase of any coins containing 5% of more of silver, gold or any precious metal. So if you would buy, say, $100 face value of silver dimes (which would cost about $1400 or so), you would need to take 2 pictures of each coin x 1000 coins, or 2,000 pictures, and you have until the end of the next business day (after the purchase) to provide those pictures to law enforcement. Plus, you have to hold onto everything you buy for at least ten business days. So you have to pay less, in case the price goes down during that length of time. And who will pay someone to take these 2,000 pictures?

You know, sometimes stuff is stolen out of grocery stores. I suggest a law requiring everyone who buys anything at a grocery store to photograph every item purchased (including, of course, each egg in a container of eggs), and provide those photos to law enforcement the day after every trip to the grocery store. Plus, you can't eat anything you buy until you hold it for ten days. This should solve the problem, whatever the problem might be.

Never doubt the ability or desire of some legislators to come up with incredibly stupid legislation.

The quick workaround would be to set a minimum dollar amount, which would cure a lot of the issues.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file