Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Collecting History One Piece at a Time!

TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 21, 2017 3:24PM in U.S. & World Currency Forum

Twenty years ago, I lived a stones throw away from the ruins of an old cotton mill. A dilapidated brick building right on the river just down the hill from where I would grill steaks outside on my deck. At the time, I did not appreciate the old brick building that was over grown with kudzu and thick snake filled weeds. It was just a cool spot to walk down to at sunset with a date. Back then, the property was abandoned and you could walk inside the building and go up the rickety stairs to view all of the graffiti that covered almost every inch of the interior.

Collecting currency has now given me a really cool opportunity to learn more about what was right in my own backyard!!

Construction of the original structure began around 1836, and by the 1840's the site was a booming cotton mill, the largest in north Georgia. It produced wool, flour, and cotton textiles, including "Roswell Gray" fabric that was sewn into Confederate Uniforms! In 1864 General Sherman seized the mill, removed and relocated around 400 employees charging them with treason (All women and children that were put on trains and sent up North), and then burned the mill to the ground. The machine shop that still stands today is the only original building that survived the civil war. After the dust of the war settled, a new mill was constructed just down river, and amazingly it stayed in operation until 1975 wow!!

A while back, I picked up this tattered remnant of what was a $1 issued note from the mill company payable in Yarn!!! The signature on the left is either R. (Roswell) King, the founder of the Mill and namesake of the city, or it is his son R. (Ralph) King who along with his brother Barrington King moved to the area from Connecticut shortly after the mill incorporated to help their father run his business. I think maybe it is Ralph's signature based on whatever the writing is over the "Sup." (Superintendent) to the right of the signature line.
photo Roswell 1 poor_zpsnc8jvwk2.jpg

Just last week, I was able to pick up this more complete example, even though it is completely missing the right hand counter.
photo Roswell 1 good_zpsgbuivpmr.jpg

Here is a complete example (Not my note) that looks like a remainder with another person's signature.
photo Roswell 1 remainder_zpsfrcsde8j.jpg

The mill area is now part of the National Park Service and has been cleaned up considerably from when I was there back in the 90's.

This is closer to how I remember the building
photo Roswell Mill 6_zpsi2kown9y.jpg

photo Roswell Mill 5_zpsdknkbn7u.jpg

Here is how it currently looks
photo Roswell Mill 7_zpsbprdnoj7.jpg

photo Roswell Mill 8_zpsucs5qgtq.jpg

I lived on the map area labeled "Factory Hill" in an old house that was converted into a duplex. Supposedly, the small homes up on the hill were where management lived and could overlook the mill's daily operation.
photo Roswell Mill 10_zpsrgyug1bf.jpg
photo Roswell Mill 4_zpsukslsdm8.jpg

The damn that was built to power the mill. This pretty spot used to be really tough to get to before they cleared out a trail.
photo Roswell Mill 9_zpswyewkwbj.jpg

:)

Comments

• Options
    TennisCoachTennisCoach Posts: 302 ✭✭✭

Well done Tooky, I always enjoy reading a piece of history and learning how it ties in with currency. Seeing the inside of the mill, the brick building then/now, and the damn to power the mill brought everything together beautifully.

Family, Neighborhood, Community,
    make the World a better place.

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great story and notes to match.

Your two issued pieces were redated to the Civil War era while the remainder has the original engraved 184- date. This leads me to believe that the agents signature on the remainder is probably original and not a later false fill in. By the 1860s, one of the Kings were signing in the left spot with a new title.

I have always appreciated this issue for the fact that it was payable in yarn. I like notes payable in commodities or in any unusual manner. The fact that Tooky has such a personal connection with this issue obviously means that he now needs to obtain the other denominations in the series. ;)

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭

Cool! Thank you for the additional information. Heck yeah, I would love to collect the other denominations. That will make for a serious challenge!