Home Q & A Forum
Options

coin values

fnettyfnetty Posts: 32 ✭✭✭

Hello can I get some opinions on how much these coins would be worth? I'm looking to sell them for a friend.
Thank you

Comments

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭

For the US coins, first you need to grade them, so start here: https://www.pcgs.com/photograde/
    Then you can look up the full retail price here: http://www.numismedia.com/fmv/fmv.shtml

The Canadian material appears to be very low grade and/or damaged, so it's not worth much.

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options

HI! I have a similar question, so I'll put it here ... I checked the photograde pages and they focus on the details remaining on the coin (e.g., how crisp the edge of an eagle's feathers are) ...

I've been reading your forum for days now, and know that "toning" is valuable, but mine are just tarnished (some of them badly) ... and some even have mold (yikes). And let's not even talk about the dirt.

I have (large) high-resolution images, to show you what I mean, but I don't know what size images I should (or can) post here without being thought of as a jerk.

None are rare. This isn't a "coin collector's collection" by any stretch of the imagination. No "special marks" and no special years ... a few Morgan dollars, Peace dollars, Shield nickels -- stuff like that ... they sat around loose in a box in my Dad's garage, amongst a bunch of gewgaws,

So is the "grading" issue moot?

Thank you for any help!!!

Annette :smile:

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭

Annette, while it sounds like you have what would be called "junk" silver, I would recommend posting a few pics (don't worry about size), and at a minimum provide the dates/mintmarks of the coins. Also, you should start a new thread.

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson