Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1954 Dixie lids - why are so few graded?

Hello all,
I purchased a lot of 7 of these locally a while back, and in doing some research, I notice that very few of these old ice cream lids get graded. The majority of these on eBay are raw, and looking in the PoP report, there are only about 129 of these graded, TOTAL, from the whole set.

Does anybody have any idea WHY? I am debating on whether or not to get mine graded. I have 5 with tabs, including the Ashburn and Minoso, and I'm thinking about making it a collecting project to complete the set.

Does PSA charge more for these, perhaps? Or is it the size variations in these lids or some other characteristic that turns people away from grading them? Maybe these don't get counterfeited, so the market doesn't need it authenticated... idk.

Not sure what to do... leaning toward grading them, but the market doesn't seem to demand it.

Also, if you are aware of any 'premiums' for the ice cream side of the lid, please share.

Thanks for any responses.

Comments

• wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

Do what you enjoy and not worry about what others are doing. My advice. I collect wrestling cards and no one was grading them initially but eventually people came along and started getting wrestling graded.

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my opinion there may be a few reasons that not many of these 1954 Dixie lids are not graded.

1. There may not be many that survived as these were probably ripped of the ice cream and tossed.
    2. There are not many that are clean and not stained. The stained ones would received an (ST) qualifier dropping them 2 grades.
    3. There are currently no sets on the PSA Registry, which would make grading them more valuable when there is competition to have the top set causing prices to rise pushing more people and dealers to grade them.

I have the same advice for you as "wrestlingcardking". Do what you enjoy and don't worry about what others are doing.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Oh, I'm not worried about what others are doing. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder... I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any reason why they may be more desirable or worth more when simply left raw.

I'll probably send them in, if for nothing else, to keep them protected in a PSA slab. Pretty cool pieces of history, imo.

And the variety of brands of ice cream on the back makes them feel just a little like the T206's. Without the harmful side effects to the lungs, of course.

Disclaimer - just a silly analogy. Please don't attack me for comparing these to T206's. ;)

• OddRodzOddRodz Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

Would depend on what 'Rocknroll' means to you actually.

What brought this personality on ? It's a freaky one. Not working.

• @OddRodz said:
    Would depend on what 'Rocknroll' means to you actually.

What brought this personality on ? It's a freaky one. Not working.

Well, I guess 'oddrodz' could mean a few different things too...

and I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about with the personality / freaky comment.

I'll explain for you, just in case you didn't get the joke - T206... tobacco cards... tobacco has a few harmful effects on your health... Dixie lids are from ice cream cups... never heard of ice cream having those same negative effects on one's health. Hopefully that helped ya out.