Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Why aren't there many signed copies of Bo Jackson's 1990 Score #697 out there?

This seems like the one everyone would want to have signed, but I haven't seen many floating around in the time I've been collecting Bo. PSA has 11 copies that are PSA/DNA. I think I heard from another collector that he couldn't sign because one of his deals prevented him from signing it. Anyone have specific knowledge or interesting alternative theories?

The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases

Comments

• baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭

If you're referring to the b&w with him in pads holding a bat, I believe Bo refuses to sign them because the photographer raised such a stink about use of the image without his permission.

• RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭

Interestingly, there are multiple 1990 football Score Supplemental PSA DNA cards for sale on eBay. The photo was obviously taken in the same photo shoot. The photographer must have licensed some photos but not others. Or, maybe Nike just obtained the "bat on shoulders" photo and used it in its marketing not knowing who the photographer was...as if they would have cared. As such the photo became iconic but the photographer never got proper credit, let alone compensation.

That's pretty stand up of Bo to not sign the card assuming the above is true. It's true, you'd think more would be signed if not for the controversy.

• dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭

Since I made this post I too read about the photographer's legal dispute, however, that took place in 2013. I can see this is why he won't sign it any longer, buy why are there only 11 psa/dna after 27 years? Seems like very few to me...

The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭

There may be many more tucked away that just haven't made it to a professional grader yet. If that card started selling for a lot of money (there's one on eBay for a BIN of $500) based on the idea he no longer signs them I'm sure you'd see a significant increase in submissions.