Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Has anyone ever opened a 1957 cello pack?

Recently or remember how the cards came out(centering variance, big pulls, and any other details. Mainly the 1st series packs? I have one in nice condition cards look mint but who knows on centering . I'm debating opening it as there are like 10-15 big hits in this series like Ted Williams, Berra, clemente,mays,Aaron, don dry scale rookie, frank Robinson rookie, Ernie banks and several others. Are there any videos of a pack like this being opened? What should I do?

Comments

• Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭

There's no way I'd open that pack. It's been saved for 60 years!

• Options
    Dand522612Dand522612 Posts: 417 ✭✭✭

Any pictures? Would be a tough call. How long I have had it, what unpaid for it. Do I have cajones of steel.

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

Is yours slabbed or raw?

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately, when people open this type of pack they are normally disappointed with the results.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Is yours slabbbed or raw"
    It is unopened at this time.

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

But is it raw or in a slab?

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

Don Dry scale--is that Don Wet Scale's cousin?!?!?! :#

No seriously Derek--as Doug asked, is it graded or raw??? Can you post a pic of the front and back so I can see it and how the seal looks??? I'm pretty familiar with 50's cello packs. Opened a 59 about six or seven years ago and got three 9's and some 8's.

• Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭

@Dboneesq said:
    But is it raw or in a slab?

I'm guessing raw. Love to see a photo

• Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

@mikelowell25 said:
    I'm pretty familiar with 50's cello packs. Opened a 59 about six or seven years ago and got three 9's and some 8's.

You bastard!!

As I grudgingly insert handshake here.

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options

Break it, dont worry about anyone else! haha. If the front centering is the same as the back, you should leave it sealed. I'm NOT familiar with 50's cellos but I busted a pack of 59's also! :)

• Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

@cpamike said:

@mikelowell25 said:
    I'm pretty familiar with 50's cello packs. Opened a 59 about six or seven years ago and got three 9's and some 8's.

You bastard!!

As I grudgingly insert handshake here.

Hi Michael! Unwilling handshake accepted! :)B):p

• Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

• Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    Unfortunately, when people open this type of pack they are normally disappointed with the results.

But sometimes you pull two Mays and a Clemente.

• Options
    ssollarsssollars Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭

If I was into baseball and had a '57 pack, I'd definitely open it :)

From my experience, most of the time at least for '58, '59 and '60 FB cellos there doesn't seem to be much correlation between the centering of the top and bottom cards and what remains hidden inside!

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mlbfan2 said:

@craig44 said:

But sometimes you pull two Mays and a Clemente.

This is true. I saw that pack and was amazed. The clemente was so nice even with the ink stain

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭

did you just buy the pack with the aparicio on top? I was waiting for an ebay bucks bonus day once he finally dropped the price and I would have probably opened it :smiley: I witnessed one opened by a friend and the centering fluctuated, the best hit was a minor star but I don't recall who. I know of another that yielded a williams and aaron , and the centering fluctuated , the williams graded an 8. of these 2 packs , 1 was sealed the long way and the other from the ends.

• Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭

I have opened a ton of 58 and 59 football cellos and centering almost always shifts through the pack. since the cards are basically 2 sets of cards(6 from each sheet pass) , the top and bottom stacks are rarely related in terms of centering.