Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1957 Topps Gil Hodges Grading Thoughts

Thoughts on the PSA grade this card might receive?

Best Answer

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

8.5? Top right corner touched? Beautiful card!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

Answers

• Options

Thanks for the feedback, Joe - I'm new to the grading world. I had submitted some 1959 cards which I thought would have received higher grades than they did - they gave them 6's and 7's - and I was hoping for 8's. I did receive an 8 on a 1940 Playball Bill Dickey, which I was happy about. Questioning my eye (and whether to submit anything else) - so I wanted to get some insights from people who know a bit more than me.

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice looking card for sure. I don't think a 9 is likely but not out of the question. Looks like (back of card) light touch on both top corners. I think an 8 is likely with a strong chance of an 8.5. I would submit for grading. 8.5's will sell in the 300+ range and 8's sell for about 130. The last 9 sold for just over 2k. Not sure if you were thinking of selling but it certainly is worth the grading fee to get it holdered/protected. Good luck and let us know how it turns out. Great looking card regardless of what grade it receives.

• Options
    Dand522612Dand522612 Posts: 417 ✭✭✭

Great card, awesome centering. Minimum 8

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

Gorgeous looking card. My first thought was an "8" or an "8.5". Looking closer, however, I see a few marks on the card. First one is a brown circle at the top of his uniform, just below his neck. At first glance I thought it was a button. Second is a stray mark in the white left border near the bottom. Third is on the reverse at the bottom. A slight mark on the "L" in "Major League Totals". Even if PSA deducts for them, that is still one fine looking card.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice card. Centering,corners sharp. To your question. I am in concert with my fellow compadres here and think you are safe for an 8/8.5. In perusing other like graded cards all seem to have those various brown specks below Gil's right bicep (left if looking at card). 1 also on right and left sleeve and below the bottom button. Speck also on top of his right wrist. Plus the aforementioned one near the top button. And the lower left corner black marks. But since these defects are prevalent on most examples, it appears that the graders let these minor flaws slide. Like stated, a nice card, one which not many would "throw out of their beds". :) Hope this helps.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".