Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Is it too early to ask who is going to Baltimore?

StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

This year I bought a train ticket to visit on Saturday.

Comments

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

See you there!

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Table 455 here!

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thursday and Friday for me too. Leaving Saturday unsure when but before noon.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭

@Stork said:

Are you taking the Cresent?

I may be there - Friday or Saturday

• Options

@Exbrit said:

@Stork said:

Are you taking the Cresent?

I may be there - Friday or Saturday

Not the Crescent, but the other one--Northeast something or other. I should get a couple hours Friday and then Saturday.

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will be there all 3 days. I would like to meet as many forum
    members as possible. I will have some coins imaged there.
    Let's get together.

• Options

Tibor happy to meet when there.

• Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭

Will be at our usual table.

https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will be there!

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

We want group pictures!!! The ones at restaurants where everyone brings their spoils.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options

PM me for cell phone/email if you wish to connect when there.

• Options
    JerseyJoeJerseyJoe Posts: 460 ✭✭

I live in Towson, MD now so I guess no reason not to go.

A bird sitting on a tree is never afraid of the branch breaking because it's trust is not in the branch but it's own wings.
  • Options

@JerseyJoe said:

Now that's convenient.

• Options

We'll be there! Table 1244.

• Options
    WDPWDP Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭✭

W. David Perkins, Gerry Fortin, and Jim Matthews will be at the Baltimore show with 16 cases of early silver, copper, gold, and other coins at Table 818.

This recently acquired 1873-CC Dollar will be at Table 818 also! Please stop by and see it.

W. David Perkins Numismatics - http://www.davidperkinsrarecoins.com/ - 25+ Years ANA, ANS, NLG, NBS, LM JRCS, LSCC, EAC, TAMS, LM CWTS, CSNS, FUN

• Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll be dropping off some submissions to NGC on Friday. I hope to meet forum members around the WORLD COIN tables.
    ~jack

• Options

If it's later Friday afternoon and there's a slightly disheveled and rumpled middle aged female with a red purse it could be me. I'm up a little before 5 to take a park-n-ride to the train station, then the train ride and taxi to hotel etc. I'm hoping to get a couple hours Friday but after a bunch of travel will probably be a little wrinkled. I'll spend all day Saturday and then do some sightseeing Sunday until I have to catch the train back. Still better than driving through the DC beltway.

• Options

@Stork, I suggest you get as much time in on Friday as possible. I've been disappointed with the way some dealers start packing up on Saturday mornings. NGC and PCGS stop taking submissions around noon on Saturday as well.

• Options

I remember Sunday turning into a wasteland, but Saturday morning is nuts. How sucky--I mean I know it's a trade show, but Saturday is for cultivating new customers I'd think. Lots of people can't go during the week after all. Sigh.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stork said:
    I remember Sunday turning into a wasteland, but Saturday morning is nuts. How sucky--I mean I know it's a trade show, but Saturday is for cultivating new customers I'd think. Lots of people can't go during the week after all. Sigh.

Yeah...It is disappointing. I remember years ago when it was worth staying on Sunday as a dealer! Sometimes on Saturday around 1-2 lately I seem to be out on my own in my area. :(

• Options

@Stork said:
    If it's later Friday afternoon and there's a slightly disheveled and rumpled middle aged female with a red purse it could be me. I'm up a little before 5 to take a park-n-ride to the train station, then the train ride and taxi to hotel etc. I'm hoping to get a couple hours Friday but after a bunch of travel will probably be a little wrinkled. I'll spend all day Saturday and then do some sightseeing Sunday until I have to catch the train back. Still better than driving through the DC beltway.

Why drive through DC - ever? Take I-81 to I -70 and head into Baltimore from the west? Not a bad drive. BTW - I was hoping to be there, but its not going happen now. I was really looking forward to it too.

Hope you have god luck and find something special.

• Options

@Exbrit said:

Why drive through DC - ever? Take I-81 to I -70 and head into Baltimore from the west? Not a bad drive. BTW - I was hoping to be there, but its not going happen now. I was really looking forward to it too.

Hope you have god luck and find something special.

Google maps tells me it's a few minutes faster--but more importantly (maybe) is then I stop in Bethesda to go to the exchange and stock up on toothpaste and wine/port (and a few other things). I generally fill my tank there too so no stopping at other points on the way. Plus my car gets stuffed full of goodies on the way home. I hate the beltway, but there is a certain sick bit of nostalgia driving it too!

I did get a few goodies--I'll take pictures tomorrow and show off a few things.

• Options

Okay, I'm not starting a new thread or do much of a show report, but I was asked.

I was just off most of the weekend. I managed to buy a several duplicates I didn't mean to--two coins I even bought at the show twice without realizing it (and another pair I did on purpose). Seriously bagged on two, oh and one was mislabeled, but I usually catch that and didn't. (where is the eye roll icon???). Missed a cleaning on one coin and PVC on another which I saw right away once I got home. Cheaper coins but still annoying.

I probably missed talking to people I should have, and had barely coherent conversations with a couple others (@jgenn I'm talking about you here...my brain was out to lunch...hope you got to see that coin you pointed out).

One of my favorite stopping places for Japanese coins is nice gentleman who is winding down...just selling and I've seen all his coins before (and he was nice enough to sell me some good ones over the years including his own album) so nothing new there.

I picked up more for my 7070 than ever THREE coins! Two raw (from Civitas--thanks! and The Penny Lady) cents and another coin. That one I cracked out of a PCGS 63 slab...the guy who sold it to me kind of looked at me like I was nuts when I said that was the plan. It's out of the plastic now though.

I got one for my Japan type album...a type 2 1870 yen in a details slab. Flashy and pretty in hand, and the hairlines are hard to see--some look more like die polish but there are some 'real' hairlines there too. The lines stand out much more in the photo (which neglects to show how good it looks otherwise). That is also liberated and slab free. I'll try and take new pictures later without the plastic in the way. Would have been fabulous to find a non-cleaned one, but oh well.

Added these to my pre-Meiji exploratory (the copper is out of proportion, but I was experimenting with the photo)

My one Albanian purchase...slipping past Zog era coins (I bought two of these on purpose, they were inexpensive, and both had various flaws...this one actually looks better now that I was able to get the black specks off after a bath)

Had to pass on a hard-to-find one but the condition was just too poor for a pricier coin.

Random purchase for no reason:

And failed miserably in my search for a really nice Art Deco era and/or Maternity themed medal. Didn't get anything super duper (a few other small coins), but oh well.

All in all, it was an 'okay' trip..got some cool things, but made too many dumb buys/duplicates etc. Did get a few cheapies, and was able to trade some bullion for other things. Had a few decent conversations, had a few where my brain was on vacation. Sorry to have missed those I managed to not chat with (and sorry to those I was not conversing well with).

So, to you who shall remain nameless, there is my version of a report.

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stork

Nice coins. I especially like the BU's and SHU's. (I think I got their denomination names correct!) Can't say I know much about Japanese, Albanian nor Irish coins, but they are nice eye candy. Congrats!

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options

@Stork, I like the Japanese coins. I have a 1870 Type I. What's the difference between types?

Thanks for the conversation on Friday! I did not get back to CRO about that coin -- I'm sure I would have been disappointed at the price.

• Options
    edited April 11, 2017 10:55AM

@jgenn --
    I cut and pasted these, but they're my original photos so it's okay :)

Close ups of the yen character on the obverse--types 1 and two vary by the appearance of the 'legs' indicated by the blue arrows.

I don't have a type 3 to take a picture of, but here is a graphic I made from a couple of my JNDA catalogs--the difference for part three is it is missing one of the horizontal strokes (the red arrows):

• Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

@JerseyJoe said:

Hey, @JerseyJoe I'll be making my annual trip to B'more mid-late June to direct my summer camp. If you (or anyone else in the area!) want to meet up for dinner (day camp ends by 5 PM), send a PM. I usually stay in Mt. Washington area, will likely be in Towson at least once. In fact, last June, I attended a concert at Towson University campus. So you don't have to go out of your way by any means.

ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options

Cathy, are these the prices under the three varieties in the two JNDAs? Because they look identical.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options

Nice haul overall, considering your Karl Stephens newps not mentioned and who knows what else? :)

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options

@SYRACUSIAN said:
    Cathy, are these the prices under the three varieties in the two JNDAs? Because they look identical.

Those are the descriptions of the types. I don't have it with me--but names for the different stroke varieties (that we call 1, 2, and 3).

I showed the two years from the JNDA as examples of artwork vs the two I have actual photos for.

Someday I might land a type 3 and can show all. You can find some good shots of type 3 coins in the Heritage archives to compare too. I didn't want to steal the photos.