Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Is this card an 8?

garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

Better picture if you scroll down on the listing. Look at the discoloring on the top white border. Talk about a eye sore.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-O-PEE-CHEE-309-ROBERTO-CLEMENTE-PIRATES-HOF-PSA-8-B2329022-686-/361757129322?hash=item543a67ba6a:g:oWQAAOSw3v5YnAjn

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

Comments

• Options
    ZTargZTarg Posts: 497 ✭✭✭

Yes. That was easy.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 14, 2017 11:00AM

72 OPC cards are prone to gum stains along the edges as the gum from that year was especially sweet (I've opened packs in which every card was gum stained). If so, that card should carry an ST qualifier. The resolution of the scan is not very good to see it clearly, though.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    sjjs28sjjs28 Posts: 452 ✭✭✭✭

preferential grading!! 4SC strikes again!!

Steve Saldutti
    sjjs28@comcast.net
    Collector of 1964 Topps Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game and 1969 Topps Decals
    Registered Sets: 1964 Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game, 1969 Topps Decals
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭

even if it didn't have that awful ugly stain I would send that in thinking centering alone would keep it in a 7
    add the stain and it is a 7 ST IMO

• Options
    59Horsehide59Horsehide Posts: 427 ✭✭✭

No. If I was buying I would be looking for better centered 8. This one is off both Top/Bottom and Left/Right. It is a 7 at best.

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure how it is an 8 without a (ST) qualifier. Hard to see in the scan but it looks to be a stain.

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

It might be hard to see on a smartphone, but the stain is easy to see from my laptop. Cant miss it.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭

I would like to see the back personally. I think graders let some things on OPC cards from the 70's slide due to that's "how there were" especially if you go back a decade.

• Options
    49ersGuy49ersGuy Posts: 382 ✭✭

I generally avoid buying from 4SC. The grading on their cards always seems to be questionable. On the flip side, you can use their lower prices to influence other sellers to lower their prices.

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 15, 2017 7:35AM

Buying a PSA graded card from 4SC is like buying a card with a qualifier or buying a BCCG card because it would never make it back in that holder again. They are certainly not the seller to buy from if you want to try to crack cards out for bumps...just consider their cards to be PSAA (PSA's lower tier BCCG model...)

• Options
    Dand522612Dand522612 Posts: 417 ✭✭✭

Kind of disagree honestly. I was reluctant to buy from them before, however a few 86 Fleer PSA 9's I have bought from their website and they are right for the grade and holder. As with anything there are sliders, however assuming every one of their cards is a border grade or a gift grade is ridiculous. I do wish they would provide back scans and zoomed scans on EBAY which I don't understand why they won't provide.

72 OPC are notorious for bad cuts, OC and as previously mentioned gum bleed. No back scan does not help any conclusions here.

• Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

It is an 8 but not one I would want for my PC

Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it is a PSA 8, but it looks like it should have the ST qualifier.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, it does have "4 Sharp Corners". ;)

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".