Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Scanning ?

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been catching up with scanning cards and noticed that the newer slabs (with the PSA logo in silver), have a higher ridge on the back of the card. This is causing the scanner to create a more blurry image of the back because of this.

I'm thinking we're stuck with the poorer scan images on the backs. The front images are fine.

Anyone have any ideas on how to improve the back images?

Comments

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a quick follow up to my scanner question. To actually see the difference, pls go to the Bill Lee Master Set in the Registry. I'm posted as Teddy Ballgame. Click the little square blue icon next to my name and my digital set will come up. Open the book then just click on the first Bill Lee pic...both the front and back will come up. Then do the other...the OPC card is in the newer slab, the Topps card in the older slab. When looking at either back, you can see the blurry scan on the OPC card, but more clear on the Topps card.

• alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭

Check your scanner sensor type. CIS sensors don't have the depth of field.

CCD sensors are much better. If needed, buy one of those.

Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page

alifaxwa2...

Looks like your suggestion is spot on. Did a little research about CIS (Contact Imaging Sensor) and CCD (Charged Coupled Device). My scanner is CIS, so, I guess I'm in the market for a CCD scanner. However, along with trying to get bang for buck (I'm probably only going to scan cards and maybe some 35mm slides), there are other specs that are Greek to me.

So, do you have a recommendation to purchase? I'm thinking maybe $100-$200 range, if that will seal the deal for me.

Tks for your time and excellent suggestion, I look forward to your post.

Al

edited March 14, 2017 6:06PM

I am using a 14 year old epson. Cost $120 back then.
    For the slides you probably need something up to 4800 dpi for prints, which most scanners nowadays can do. And make sure it comes with the capability for slides and film. But I imagine most can do it.

Search the Sports cards and memorabilia forum, this conversation comes up often.

Commissions

edited March 14, 2017 6:11PM

Commissions

Thanks for the response and link. I think the Yaz comparison says all you need to see concerning CCD vs CIS.

• bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭✭

I have a Epson v37

Works beautifully for cards...except the shinny stuff like tops chrome

Have tried changing the settings. Still get a very dark background on the card image.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets

Thanks guys...I bought an EPSON V600. 6400x9600 dpi.

It allows me to scan in the ton of slides I have from Vietnam days and other trips, so I'm kinda excited about perhaps creating a photo album of those memories. Photos of course can also be scanned with a higher resolution result, enabling hopefully a better print...we'll see.

Of course I'm anxious to rescan the many PSA slabs I have and look forward to the increased clarity.

Much thanks to alifaxwa2 above for the education on CCD vs CIS!!

Al

A quick update on scanning. I got my Epson Perfection V600 scanner up and running. I haven't used it for photos yet, but I can say that the scanner is a huge improvement from my previous unit.

The major difference is the technology used in the V600...it uses CIS (Contact Imaging Sensor) technology, where older scanners use CCD (Charged Coupled Device). The difference is where the scanner focuses the scan mechanism as it scans the item.

You will notice the newer PSA slabs have a higher ridge on the back of the cards. The V600 blows past that and scans the surface of the card...for lack of a better term. The CCD scanners would scan at the point where the slab touches the flatbed, thus causing a blur for lack of focus about 1/32" higher. I will be rescanning my Bill Lee master set cards into my digital album and on a rainy day will be scanning in my Luis Tiant master set cards as well.

IF you buy this scanner, don't bother with the enclosed CD to load the drivers!! The CD is more than likely not as current as updated versions. Go to Epson.com and load your drivers from their website, they constantly update driver data, thus all updates are baked into the download version.

FWIW, I bought mine on Amazon...something about that Prime delivered to the door that's hard to pass up.

• I use an Epson Perfection V370 Photo I purchased a few years ago, and it works great. Here's a new one on Amazon Prime for around $100, and you get it in two days: https://goo.gl/g844E9

They also sell a refurb for less on Amazon here: https://goo.gl/4QLluQ

My advice is to spend the extra $20 and get the brand new ones.

Steve, Owner of Engro Trading Company, Ltd. [/B}
    ebay Username: ENGRO
    stores.ebay.com/engro
  • hjrhjr Posts: 46 ✭✭

From the advice of this thread I went out and purchased a EPSON V600, I was super happy with the quality of scans and re-scanned all my slabs on my digital albums, I was pumped to hear my 2009 Topps UFC Round 1 digital album was nominated for the 2017 PSA Set Registry Awards for BEST DIGITAL ALBUM OF THE YEAR.

Thank you guys!, the information you guys shared definitely made the difference.

album: https://www.psacard.com/PSASetRegistry/album/201352

Henry Ruiz
  • ArmourPhilArmourPhil Posts: 97 ✭✭✭

Not to get too techie on you all...but... as was said, CCD is charge coupled devices. This is the old technology. CIS is CMOS Image Sensors.[ CMOS is complimentary metal oxide semiconductors] CIS are like silicon chips and are digital. A god CIS should be able to get better scans than the equivalent CCD. I use an Epson V500 which I assume is the generation before the Epson V600 that HJR described above and YES it is CIS . All of your digital cameras and phone cameras are now CIS

• Mickey MaysMickey Mays Posts: 289 ✭✭✭

According to CNET, the Epson V500 is CCD.

https://www.cnet.com/products/epson-perfection-v500-photo-scanner/specs/

Scan Element Type CCD

or

http://www.scannerone.com/Epson-V500-Color-Scanner.html

Optical Sensor: Color Epson Matrix CCD® line sensor

• bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Bob-- what would you recommend as a wicked scanner ?

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

@bishop said:
    Bob-- what would you recommend as a wicked scanner ?

Do you mean a scanner that would be used in the musical Wicked?

• bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Yes, Bob

By the way, I have a Epson Artisan 837, but only because someone gave it to me and supplies the ink. If you can get that kind of a deal I would recommend it.

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al