Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

What is the largest custom lucite holder you have ever seen?

291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me it was a lucite holder, apparently custom made by the collector himself, who knew how to do such things and had the necessary equipment, to hold his entire Morgan Dollar date and mint mark collection in one holder. The center section was light blue with the front and back pieces clear. It was very well done. I recall seeing it displayed at a meeting of the Club of Illinois Numismatists (COINS) circa 1962 or 1963.

All glory is fleeting.

Comments

• Options
    Al21Al21 Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

I have one that holds a grading set of Franklins. 91 coins, I think it was too large and the coins shifted.

Successful BST transactions with WTCG, NH48400, evil empire,
    meltdown, timrutnat, bumanchu, 2ndCharter, rpw, AgBlox, indiananationals, yellowkid, RGJohn, fishteeth, rkfish, Ponyexpress8, kalshacon, Tdec1000, Coinlieutenant, SamByrd, Coppercolor
  • Options
    JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not as large as the ones mentioned above, but the coolest large one I know of is the "University of North Georgia Collection", a complete date set of Dahlonega, displayed in the Dahlonega Gold Museum.

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭

Not the largest, but I have seen two matching Lucite holders that hold Lincoln cents, each shaped like Lincoln's head in profile.

Dr. Pete
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen one with about 18 proof sets - Canadian - I do not think it was regular production line...

• Options
    Crazy8sCrazy8s Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

At 4:03 in the attached video begins a great view of the large display at the Carson City Mint Museum. It is the most amazing large custom Lucite display I have even seen, both in size, scope of coins and educational value. A must visit if you are ever in that part of Nevada
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=coin+display+at+Carson+City+mint+&view=detail&mid=5C3AED41FA79642C93F85C3AED41FA79642C93F8&FORM=VIRE

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Crazy8s , great video and thanks for sharing it :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw a Capital holder containing holes for five coin proof sets from 1936 forward into the 1970's at a regional coin show a few years ago. Most of the holes were filled with proof coins starting in 1938. It was very large and the display was impressive.

If it had contained every proof set from 1936 forward with high grade, eye appealing coins it would been quite an attention grabber.

I have always thought that a Capital holder such as this (or maybe 4 or 5 of them) containing every US proof coin from 1900 through 1999 would be one heck of an impressive collection.

• Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭

Uncut sheet of 60 $1 notes. Huge!

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not the biggest, but definitely the strangest.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen one for All Morgans. A gentleman I met had filled up the entire thing (except the 95-P) from Silver Dollars he got in the 60's from the gas stations on his trucker runs in the West. There was a time when some of the gas stations would give your change in Silver Dollars if you filled up. Over the years, he put together a full set in one very large capital holder. Hard to believe this was possible but that is what he told me. This thing was like 2 feet by 3 feet in size. Made for a wall I think.

I have seen another one shape of Nevada for just the Carson City Coins. The guy had three of these, all full. :-)

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"