Home Sports Talk

NFL Free Agency

perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gotta love this stuff. I love what the Pats have done so far and am laughing at the Browns taking Osweiler from the Texans when they don't even want him they want the pick that was the " Sweetener" just for taking the bum from the Texans lol. Curious where Romo and Cousins will land

Comments

• Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

As long as they resign Hightower, I'm good. Butler as well, but it doesn't look that way.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yea I'm hoping for them to sign Hightower but not thinking they will. The Gilmore signing is awesome

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also loving these moves. Just heard that there is talk on espn of trading butler for the new Orleans receiver. I hope they keep butler. How great would it be to have two shutdown corners.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

I'd rather have two shutdown corners than only one and Brandon Cooks, the Pats are fine on offense they need to keep the defense strong!

• orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm just having a great time watching my Redskins destroy themselves... love the offseason.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

so the big news thus far seems to be the trade between the Browns and Houston. what I have read at other sites is split between Cleveland being stupid and brilliant, essentially trading for a 2nd round pick and a $16mil contract they'll have to pay to a QB they'll release.

from only what I have read there is some really deep seated hatred towards the Cleveland Browns franchise which is hard to understand. admittedly the Front Office there has looked amateurish in the past but I think they deserve some credit for doing something right this time, for being able to make a move that no one else in the NFL anticipated or had attempted before. I know that back in the mid-80's they snuck up on everyone when they used the Supplemental Draft to pick Bernie Kosar and fans howled that they had "cheated" somehow.

a few fans have even said that the NFL should investigate both Teams for collusion!!! that's rich. in a sense, isn't that what two Teams do when they discuss a trade??

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 10, 2017 8:13AM

Well it seems like the Ostweiler deal precludes Jimmy G going there as was rumored about. Maybe Ostweiler can make a new start there.

Also does this mean Romo might go to Houston? Or Grappalo to Houston ?

Jimmy G going there would probably be a great fit considering all the patriots linked staff there . I always felt there were lines of communication between houston and New England. In any case a much better place to go if you are Jimmy G than Cleveland

Cleveland made other moves yesterday, principally in getting a few offensive lineman and a wideout. also, in addition to the second rounder from Houston I think the Browns also got a fourth round pick. my perspective is that they are moving in the right direction and doing the things I have said they should be doing. I wouldn't expect them to take a QB or even chase a high profile free agent.

I was struck by the Bears releasing Cutler, I have been pleading the case for Cleveland to go after him for 2-3 years now.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 10, 2017 2:15PM

Rumor is Cleveland will release Osweiller. They are basically paying 16 million for a second round pick. Osweiller has got to feel like an orphaned QB at this point, lol..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

The team I hate the most signed Brandon Marshall, I was thinking he would be a great fit for the Pats but Big Bill felt otherwise lol..

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brady has himself a new play toy...

Cooks is in the fold!!! Pats very aggressive this year. Thinking way ahead, but could we win 3 in 4 years for the second time?

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the Browns' trade as a means to improve the cellar-dwelling team. Huge cap room so this salary dump won't hurt them a bit, even if they keep him around as a serviceable backup QB. They have so many draft picks in the next couple of drafts, they have a chance to turn the organization around. Well done, Cleveland.

That being said, NE owns the Lombardi trophy and just got better. Trust in Bill.

I'm very impressed with the Pats, they are just having a beast of an offseason! Cooks will fit right in as a turn on a dime slot guy, and they got him for cheap. I'm really hoping they keep Butler and Hightower now, let's see.

@Barndog said:
    I love the Browns' trade as a means to improve the cellar-dwelling team. Huge cap room so this salary dump won't hurt them a bit, even if they keep him around as a serviceable backup QB. They have so many draft picks in the next couple of drafts, they have a chance to turn the organization around. Well done, Cleveland.

That being said, NE owns the Lombardi trophy and just got better. Trust in Bill.

When Ostweiler was with Denver he beat the Patriots , he looked good in games there. Then he went check chasing got a huge 74 million dollar payoff and maybe his head got big . Last year should have humbled him , maybe he can reset this year.

Cleveland has signed Jamie Collins to a long term deal , don't they still have 2 1st round pics this year?

@bronco2078 said:

@Barndog said:

When Ostweiler was with Denver he beat the Patriots , he looked good in games there. Then he went check chasing got a huge 74 million dollar payoff and maybe his head got big . Last year should have humbled him , maybe he can reset this year.

Cleveland has signed Jamie Collins to a long term deal , don't they still have 2 1st round pics this year?

Cleveland does have two first round picks this year, plus two in the second round! I think next year they have a first round pick and three in the second round. That's pretty stacked, giving them opportunity to rebuild through the draft or trade picks for more-proven players. If they manage this well (but it's the Browns), they can shift the organization fairly quickly. I am no Cleveland fan, but it is quite interesting to follow their development, given all of this potential.

1 and 12.

The Browns definitely deserve credit for really putting in a solid effort rebuilding their franchise, there is zero guarantee though they need the right personnel to evaluate the talent they get with these picks.

Well assuming the Browns get up out of the funk they are in , the league will need some team to take thier place as the butt of all jokes. I nominate the Washington Redskins

Another d lineman in the fold. Any word on Hightower or butler?

Dimeman's Cowboys have done literally nothing except lose some of their best Defensive players and lost a starting tackle to retirement lol, holding out hope for Hightower more so than Butler

@perkdog said:
    Dimeman's Cowboys have done literally nothing except lose some of their best Defensive players and lost a starting tackle to retirement lol, holding out hope for Hightower more so than Butler

Thats Jerry Jones for you. First playoff game is a loss? Stand pat he says :D

Weird that nothing has happened with Hightower, the Pats are letting him explore the open market and he has zero offers on the table?

supposedly, Hightower is expected to be back with NE, but he is checking out the J-E-T-S. NE has the $ to afford him, if Bill thinks they need him again. Butler has a first round tender attached to his name, so he gets almost $4 million in 2017 once that's signed. No need to work anything out long term with him today. They still have the rest of the FA period and the draft and maybe after all that would be a good time to concern themselves with Butler (if he is still on the team)

I was thinking the same thing about Hightower. The clock is ticking and still no word.

edited March 13, 2017 12:15PM

The Butler situation is far from over, he is not happy at all but ofcourse the Pats hold the upper hand

Perkdog, have you heard new info on butler? I really hope they hold onto him

Craig same as you I'm sure, I read they told him that they would not be paying big money to a CB and then they go ahead and sign Gilmore out of nowhere for stupid money and now he feels slighted. Bottom line he will cost a team a first rounder I think? That makes him not that viable to free agency and it hurts his market value, probably the best thing he could do is to pretend to be a happy Patriot for this season then test the market. Either way I hope it works out for both sides

I'm reading that Butler is visiting the Saints now..

Thanks perkdog, I hadn't heard about the saints. I wonder if that first rounder is for this year or next

Just answered my own question. 11th overall this year. I guess thats a pretty good consolation prize

Nfl network reporting that Hightower will make his decision today. Between Steelers, jets and patriots with pats the expected winner. Hope so.

• fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭✭

Belichick has proven time and time again he can replace anyone. If Hightower or Butler don't come back it won't impact the Pats in the slightest. I remember all the whining and moaning when he traded Chandler Jones and then Jamie Collins. The Patriots didn't miss a beat and in fact had the top scoring defense in the league. As long as Brady is healthy next season the Pats will win 12-14 games and make a deep run in the playoffs.

Robb

I'm reading that Hightower is staying with the Pats! Great news, and Fergie I don't often agree with you but your post is spot on.

Great news!!!

Hightower back! Hang on to Butler and they have the makings of another SB run!

I have to say I think Bennett will shine in Green bay , it was a good move for him and for Green Bay . He showed a lot of toughness here and they really need that , they have been decimated by injuries late in the year.

He came here , got a chance to catch passes from the greatest QB of all time, and he learned how to win in the playoffs . Now he is getting a raise , he will be catching passes from another great QB, and bringing his superbowl experience to the Packers as well. The fans up there are going to love him , he has personality.

I can see Green Bay selling a lot of Bennet Jerseys and see him co starring in a commercial or 3.

Bennett will especially enjoy crushing the Bears!

edited March 16, 2017 4:12AM

Bennett will be good but not much better than Jared Cook, Rodgers looks for Jordy Nelson first and second then Spreads the ball around to as many other different receivers as he possibly can. TE's historically don't do that good under Rodgers, remember all the hype about Jermichael Finley a few years ago?

I do fare Bennett well though, thanks for your services.

That could be true as well . Rodgers is a talented QB but I feel he is limited by his massive ego . He plays like he needs to be the hero of every game. If he gets a nagging type of injury that slows him down a bit and limits his ability to extend plays those glossy highlight reels will become epic fail videos .

• Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    edited March 16, 2017 10:13AM

@Barndog said:
    Hightower back! Hang on to Butler and they have the makings of another SB run!

I firmly believe Butler is out of here, one way or the other. He wants his money and after the Gilmore acquisition, he'll want out just on principle. I say trade him away now so the team can still get something in return. Otherwise, I see a mid-season cut just like Jamie Collins last year because HE WILL be whining, bitching, and generally causing a distraction until he gets what he wants.

I think butler ends up in New Orleans and NE gets pick 11.

I want NE to get pick #1. Myles Garrett needs to be a NE Patriot! :*

I read that Marshaun Lynch is " Thinking" about coming back and un Retiring, he hopes Seattle will release him so he can go to the Raiders? with all the nonsense surrounding him over the past years saying he was going to retire and not retire also his refusing to talk during the whole super bowl I hope Seattle doesn't accommodate him.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 19, 2017 7:07AM

I hate free agency and I hate the salary cap! Both have ruined sports!

Listening to some talk radio today and they were suggesting that Aaron Hernandez is to blame for the Pats not signing Butler.
    Apparently since that whole multiple murder thing happened right after they paid Hernandez the pats haven't paid anyone early. They have at most picked up an option year for a few guys but no one has gotten signed to a big contract before their deal has been up.