Home Sports Talk

And another Cav goes down.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I accept that injuries are a part of the Game but this is ridiculous. Andrew Bogut breaks his leg in a freak contact accident less than a full minute into his first game with Cleveland!! It's added on top of two other starters who have missed large parts of the season and Lebron James who has to be getting tired as he logs more minutes than everyone else in the League and it make me wonder how they can hope to defend their Title.

Contrast that with Tristan Thompson who just never misses a game, weird.

Al H.

Comments

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Andrew Bogut has been fragile and injury prone since he first entered the NBA (and probably before that in college). When he was acquired by the Warriors in a trade for Monta Ellis the big question was whether he could recover from an injury that had sidelined him or whether he would not be able to recover and play regularly. It took some time for him to heal from his injury and when he did he did have a good run with the Warriors. However at the end of the 2014-2015 season (broken rib on a fluke play if I recall correctly) and during last year's playoffs he was injured again and could not play the final 3-4 games of the title series.

It is unfortunate that he has suffered the number of injuries he has. He is a versatile big man who can really help out a team when he is healthy. Cleveland definitely has suffered bad luck with Bogut's injury yesterday.

I do not think it will happen for this year and the next 2 years but I suspect that Le Bron James will, at 35-36, likely follow the path that Kobe Bryant did. To much wear and tear on his body [though James is possibly more durable than Kobe] will lead to injuries, which will have a cumulative negative impact on his abilities, which will be compounded if he tries to come back too soon. It would be sad to see James unable to play at the level he has performed at since he was......... (most likely) 5-6 years of age.

I think that the NBA playoffs this year could see teams other than the Cavs, Warriors and Spurs make a run to the title series. Injuries are taking a toll on the Cavs and Warriors. The Spurs are playing very well and with 2 games against the Warriors in San Antonio this month I could see the Spurs taking and keeping the #1 seed in the Western Conference playoffs.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I saw an article not long ago that detailed the number of minutes Lebron plays added with the post season play and how it translates to the number of games he has been involved in, way past the average player to the point of extra season(s). it will eventually catch up with him.

I believe the Warriors and Cavs can beat any Team in their Conference in a playoff format, so as the season comes to a close I figure they will each position themselves to "match up" against Teams they perceieve will give the clearest run to the title. that means they will rest who they can, let banged up players soothe their wounds and allow others to get some minutes and rhythm.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 14, 2017 5:43AM

It's very eerie in the Association. The two teams many expected to meet for a rematch are having a hard time simply winning games right now. I know both missing Kevins are extremely valuable, but really?

Cavs a mere two games ahead of the Celtics and 2.5 ahead of the Wiz in the East?

Warriors on the verge of dropping out of the top spot in the West? Didn't they win 73 without KD last year?

Fascinating stuff...

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

apparently in the NBA things are closer for many Teams than we realize, while at the same time a key player missing means more than we realize. I can't speak for GSW, but with the Cavs they have been missing 40% of their starters for an extended period. in the NFL, just imagine what the Pat's would be like if they lost nine of their 22 starters for three games during the season

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    in the NFL, just imagine what the Pat's would be like if they lost nine of their 22 starters for three games during the season

Ok, I imagined it.

They would vie for another SB and probably win.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:

@keets said:
    in the NFL, just imagine what the Pat's would be like if they lost nine of their 22 starters for three games during the season

Ok, I imagined it.

They would vie for another SB and probably win.

I actually think that happened

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......