Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Pencil notations on obsoletes

I have two very nice obsoletes that have been given grades by pmg as 58 with no epq and marked on the back of the holder with "annotations". I think i read on here before that this was a common practice for old timers to mark their notes like this. I'm curious what grade they would receive if i took them out and made a delicate attempt to erase the pencil annotations and then re-submitted them. Has any done this? what was the result? If anyone thinks i'm trying to be deceptive or make a buck I can assure you that's not the case. These are two notes that will never leave my collection. I'm just curious if the simple act of erasing (assuming no other flaws) would be able to possibly bring back the EPQ?? As i'm writing this I guess another question would be is it possible for a note to be graded by a TPG as EPQ/PPQ while retaining pencil marking?

Collecting Grand Rapids, Michigan Nationals all denominations, series, and types as well as obsoletes.

Please PM me with any available for sale.

Comments

• StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

• TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭

PPQ/EPQ is so tough on obsoletes, and erasing may leave a clean spot. Would love to see pics! Live dangerously, give it a shot and see what happens :)

• bkzoopapabkzoopapa Posts: 177 ✭✭✭

Many old timers put either type or catalogue numbers on the backs of CSA notes and priced them that way. Wismer used to send shoeboxes full of broken bank notes to collectors, raw no holders back then ( meaning no holders period). They were priced on the back in pencil, you bought what you wanted and sent them back. Glen Smedley told me about that when I was a kid. Usually a soft pink pearl eraser can remove them if not too thin or ratty.

• TheGrandRapidianTheGrandRapidian Posts: 168 ✭✭
    edited May 18, 2017 11:20AM

OK so here is one of the notes I have. What are your thoughts? Do you think its worth trying to erase the pencil on the back?

Collecting Grand Rapids, Michigan Nationals all denominations, series, and types as well as obsoletes.

Please PM me with any available for sale.
  • sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

If PPQ/EPQ is supposed to denote originality or paper that hasn't been "messed with", then the pencil mark shouldn't preclude this designation. This note should have received it. However, an erasure would mean that the paper was messed with and PPQ/EPQ would not be warranted.

Don't worry about the holder. The note is original and beautiful and looks better than AU50. The notation itself nor the comment about it diminish the desirability or value of the note at all, at least not to me. If the holder bothers you, cut it out, put it in a mylar holder, and write on it "Eagle on rock at center. Bold signatures, fully framed, bright and original, a top-quality example, nearly crisp uncirculated." That would be accurate, too. And you'll enjoy the note more.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.