Home Stamps Forum
Options

I just sold my stamp collection. No regrets in spite of a big loss.

291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

A year ago I made the mistake of returning to stamp collecting. I started with an Irish collection I bought at an auction and expanded from there. Then I went and tried to sell some duplicate and unneeded items. Talk about a dead market. On Tuesday I took the entire collection to a local auction dealer and sold it to him outright at a big loss. I have no regrets about doing so as now I no longer have to spend time or money trying to figure out how to sell the collection.

All glory is fleeting.

Comments

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe the dealers are the only ones making money in the stamp business.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

The number of dealers in stamps has declined sharply. Here in the Detroit area there is only one stamp auction house and two dealers brick and mortar stores. At one time there were four stamp auction houses and about sixty dealers with brick and mortar locations! things do change in the world of collectibles.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

It's really a sad state of affairs for the novice collector, as the stamps I have collected, obtained, traded for are now worth pennies on the dollar. Only the rare and valuable stamps are bought and sold at a higher level. I was just never into those high dollar stamps, I have some semi-rarities but they are all cancelled and have problems. The collection just languishes on the shelf, collecting dust.

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    The number of dealers in stamps has declined sharply. Here in the Detroit area there is only one stamp auction house and two dealers brick and mortar stores. At one time there were four stamp auction houses and about sixty dealers with brick and mortar locations! things do change in the world of collectibles.

These things go in waves. I remember there used to be many sports card B&M shops, but they too have gone by the wayside.

Now it's video game shops.