Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

There go ebay fees, up again

I just got back on ebay after many years away to sell items from my online business (trailmixx.com) not cards. It's going ok so I listed more items, did the ebay store thing to save on fees, almost at top rated seller status and then BAM, the fees are going up. I'm not going to get into all the details here but this will apply to some of you on here. I have a basic store and the final value fee was 9%, now going up to 9.15, not a big deal. The TRS discount, which I was looking forward to, is 20% off final value fees but that is dropping to 10%. They also made the requirements for TRS status a little tougher. Anyway, check your email. Thanks for letting me vent. I am sure others feel the same way.

Love those 70's - early 80's packs and boxes...send me a message if you are selling because I am buying

Comments

• Options

You may want to consider Amazon as your marketplace of choice. While the fees are slightly higher, the traffic that is generated to the Amazon Storefront makes Ebay look like a flea market on a cold, rainy day.

flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Shopify Store
    Ebay Store
  • Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@flcardtrader said:
    You may want to consider Amazon as your marketplace of choice. While the fees are slightly higher, the traffic that is generated to the Amazon Storefront makes Ebay look like a flea market on a cold, rainy day.

What he said

• Options
    jsanzjsanz Posts: 250 ✭✭

I was considering it. I am reluctant because the fee is 15%, I think. If the traffic and sales are much better maybe I need to get over the fees

Love those 70's - early 80's packs and boxes...send me a message if you are selling because I am buying
  • Options

10 to 15% fees are nothing compared real to brick and mortar overhead.

• Options
    jskirwinjskirwin Posts: 700 ✭✭✭

Just checked Amazon for some graded cards I'm looking for.
    WOW!

Of course most of them are Dean's Cards listings.

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

"eBay Top Rated Sellers have told us they want more tools and options to grow their business. The changes we’re making reflect our ongoing investment in helping them do just that and to ensure the best marketplace health and competition."

OK, who is the clown that told ebay the above? I like Turbolister and they are getting rid of it for Seller Hub. Looks like I will need to sell the high dollar cards before May 1.

Mike
  • Options
    OddRodzOddRodz Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

When looking at the big picture of life, there isn't any card related objectives other than to focus here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrJlyapt6OY

If not able to focus there though, you can of course go back to this discussion. Dennis07 should probably not watch the vid.

• Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

Oh wow. My brain just turned into cottage cheese.

• Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

If the card is at least 20 years old then ETSY is a GREAT option. Lowest fees and fantastic exposure.

• Options

@MULLINS5 said:
    If the card is at least 20 years old then ETSY is a GREAT option. Lowest fees and fantastic exposure.

Exactly

• Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭

They need to raise the fees since they have to pay off all the extra eBay bucks they are providing for Buyers and :o sellers :open_mouth:

Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭

The only positive thing I saw was this, and it's unfortunate Ebay can't use more methods like this to raise revenue rather than punishing its top rated professional sellers who work extremely hard to ensure that every sale is a good experience for Ebay's buyers.

Higher fees for below standard. For accounts not meeting eBay's minimum performance standards, final value fees will be increased by 4 percentage points starting May 1. For example, a normal fee of 5.15% will be 9.15%.

It isn't too difficult for a seller to meet minimum performance standards. If they're not maintaining the minimum standards then they're creating a lot of issues for Ebay buyers, and eventual problems for Ebay to have to deal with. The heck with the 4 point raise, raise it by 10 points and give more incentive back to all sellers to operate at a level exceeding the standards.

• Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

How do you get a normal fee of 5.15%?

IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭

That was just a sample percentage number selected by ebay to show how to compute a 4 percentage point increase. The number they selected was low in order not to traumatize those selling items in the most common 9% categories.

• Options
    PADIdiverPADIdiver Posts: 133 ✭✭✭

@jskirwin said:
    Just checked Amazon for some graded cards I'm looking for.
    WOW!

Of course most of them are Dean's Cards listings.

haha I just looked for some stuff... barry bonds rookie for $20,000 ungraded. Hahahahaha

• Options
    kidzfundkidzfund Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

I never thought of Etsy for cards. For those who use Etsy, how are your sales?

Anybody use COMC? I've read both good and bad feedback on it.

• Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

As a buyer, I'm thrilled about the higher fees. The searches are getting out of hand with listings 2-5X over value. For real sellers, this is good news, because their cards will not be lost in the maze of trollers looking for newbies.

Ebay wants turnover, not stagnant listings cluttering up their servers.

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    jskirwinjskirwin Posts: 700 ✭✭✭
    edited March 7, 2017 9:00AM

Ebay wants turnover, not stagnant listings cluttering up their servers.
    Easiest thing would be to cut out the free listings. That would put a dent in the outrageous prices for raw cr@p that clutters my searches. Just got another 500 auction style listings for free in my messages today. so I'm sure it was sent to others.

Ebay can charge what it wants because it can. I'd love to see ebay broken up for being a monopoly. Ditto Google and FB too. But won't happen given their funding of the congresscritters in Washington.

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I read it correctly, sellers will now get a $30 listing credit to use as they see fit. That means those stagnant listings aren't going away. As for "trollers", it is up to buyer to protect themselves and do some research before hitting that BIN button.

The fee increase won't be good for anyone but ebay. Sellers will increase BINs to compensate for the difference on the higher dollar cards. I'm not sure if it will effect auctions, for cards under $100 I don't think it will change, but 4% on a $1000 card may make a seller go the BIN route.

Mike
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like they are trying a new marketing idea to get items selling that had been formerly listed with an initial high amount. The promo that circulated today is a savings of 40% off FVF for auctions starting at $5 or less.