Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

China Silver Dollar Yuan Shih-Kai "fatman" coin. Is it 1921?

David1940David1940 Posts: 64 ✭✭
edited February 28, 2017 8:40AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Previously characterized by a dealer at a coin show as the only coin in my collection that wasn't "junk", I believe I have correctly dated and identified this coin as a 1921 Fatman Chinese dollar, thanks to some Google searches and some posts I found here. Not in great condition, but most of my inherited coins aren't. I weighed it (26 grams) and I'm not sure what else I need to do, to verify that it's not a fake. Anyway I'm glad to have written some identifying info on the flip -- previously all I knew about the coin was that it was Asian.

Comments

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe it is a 1921. The surfaces look suspect and there are tons of fakes out there.
    The weight is about right, though. If it's not magnetic, and the diameter is 39mm, it's probably (but not definitely) real.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

The date is correct. The '+" in the obverse legend means 'ten' (added to the republic's founding year 1911 = 1921).

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EVillageProwler said:
    How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Hmm, EVP seems to have all the answers :)

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes it's a fake.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    David1940David1940 Posts: 64 ✭✭

@Type2 said:
    Yes it's a fake.

How can you tell?

• Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭

Looks OK to me at first glance, but obviously I can't be certain from cell phone photos.

https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm Sorry it just has that look you can look at the edge if it's wider then the others that is one way and the ring tone of silver will work as well the look and size. A lot to look for but that is just some to look for, after looking at many you can go buy the look right off the bat.

Hoard the keys.