Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Did you know: eBay allows a seller to decide not to sell their item after the auction ends?

This just happened to me. I won an auction for over $500. Immediately upon the auction ending the seller emailed me in the eBay system and said he can't sell the cards that cheap. If I want them, the lowest he would go is $750.

I forwarded this to eBay and even spoke to a customer service rep who basically told me, that eBay will note this behavior but they can't do anything about it. The seller told me he spoke to eBay and that eBay does "allow" him to do so.

Can this be real?

I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !

Comments

• Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭

Yes. I had a buyer make a unrealistic demand after buying an item. I cancelled it with no approval/agreement needed.

Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

Happened to me a couple of times. All you can really do is leave a neg.

Ebay couldn't possibly force people to ship an item. But, it would be nice if there was a harsher punishment.

• Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

Yes, has happened to me t3-4 times over the last 20 years. When someone starts all their auctions at .99 cents, they should either reconsider $100 + items or start the auction on something higher. I lost out on a Paul McCartney auto once, a Lou Gehrig auto and several older cards.

CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

My question is why do they allow a seller to pull out if they don't like the price. What would keep a buyer who gets buyers remorse from deciding they don't want a card at "x" price and try to negotiate a cheaper one? Don't see the difference.

KC

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Makes me wonder why a seller would ever set a Reserve.

• Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

Ebay has been allowing buyers to do it for years. But seriously, you should have a three strikes your out policy on not selling an item AND/OR not paying for an item. Too many idiots on ebay to have to deal with this kind of nonsense

IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is only one example out of thousands of otherwise good transactions, but I have experienced one seller recently who, after I paid the invoiced amount, demanded an additional payment ($12 more or roughly 7% of the invoiced sales price) or they would not otherwise ship the item. Pretty frustrating.

• Options
    seablasterseablaster Posts: 188 ✭✭✭

@miwlvrn said:
    It is only one example out of thousands of otherwise good transactions, but I have experienced one seller recently who, after I paid the invoiced amount, demanded an additional payment ($12 more or roughly 7% of the invoiced sales price) or they would not otherwise ship the item. Pretty frustrating.

Someone tried to do a shakedown for $12? Sounds like that seller needs to find gainful employment.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

I agree with KC. Ebay has the NPB why not a NSS (non selling seller).
    I would at least give him a neg...and I rarely if ever give one.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

Had this happen recently twice. The one that was most frustrating was a buy it now for 400 OBO. I offered 300, he countered at 325 I accepted. After paid in full 3 days passes and I ask him if he has tracking and he replies with, "I will send the cards if you send $50 more to paypal". lol.

So I left a neg and waited the 10+ days until ebay would refund me.

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

Leave neg and in limited characters for feedback state what he did

• Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭

Because the seller immediately cancelled the auction once it ended, there is no way that i can figure out for me to even leave feedback. Since eBay seems to be allowing this, I wonder if the seller is still on the hook for his eBay fees. That would seem to point to why eBay is not that concerned about whether the transaction actually takes place.

I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2017 5:41AM

@gregmo32 said:
    Because the seller immediately cancelled the auction once it ended, there is no way that i can figure out for me to even leave feedback. Since eBay seems to be allowing this, I wonder if the seller is still on the hook for his eBay fees. That would seem to point to why eBay is not that concerned about whether the transaction actually takes place.

Unfortunately that isn't the case as far as I know. If the seller selects the reason (buyer has requested cancellation), it is like they are doing you a favor and ebay understands and credits them the fee back. Any other reason I can't confirm if they are charged, but that is the loophole because the buyer never has to agree that they requested to cancel and it is just the seller's word on that.

• Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2017 5:46AM

I did get my fees returned.

@gregmo32 said:

Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭

That is quite a loophole.

Thank you for the comments and information everyone provided. I appreciate them!