Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

When sending a very high end card to PSA how do you ship it? Registered Mail? Next Day with Sig Conf

Curious on how you guys who grade, re-holder, or cross very high end cards handle shipping as well as packing to PSA ? Do you send by registered mail via USPS, UPS, or FEDEX? Do you double box? Feel free to answer by PM if you don't want to answer on the forum publicly. Any advice is highly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Options

Fed Ex Small Box Express. Set up an online account with Fed Ex (get a discount), buy a scale, printer with shipping labels and pick up free shipping shipping boxes at your local FedEx.

On the hunt high grade Star Basketball.
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

it depends on how much insurance you need. if you require insurance from $1000 to $50,000 registered may be the best way as insurance is included in the price. other USPS delivery options require other insurance. Check USPS.com for rates or stop at a PO and ask. In general they are pretty helpful at the counter.

Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    Dand522612Dand522612 Posts: 417 ✭✭✭

I try and drop anything off at a show that PSA is at. Save the shipping to and create some peace of mind. If I have to, yes I will send registered.

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would suggest getting a policy with Collectibles Insurance if you frequently send high priced items. Your policy coverage is all you need, and depending on the declared $$ amount you can ship it several ways. Over $5k I believe has to be USPS registered, and FedEx is Express Priority with signature.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

Registered all the way.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Pack well. USPS registered

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    MrHockeyMrHockey Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

I also use Collect Insure, so I don't pay for higher end shipping or insurance. Medium flat rate boxes for submissions, first class bubble mailers w/ cardboard for individual graded cards.

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use FedEx for high dollar cards. I don't buy insurance because I think FedEx has strict limitations on collectibles claims. However I trust their works over the USPS and you can have them hold packages at a local FedEx Offices for someone to pick up.

Mike
  • Options
    muffinsmuffins Posts: 469 ✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2017 5:27PM

key components, carrier aside:

take pics or even video of packing/drop off process.

definitely mark "adult" sig. confirmation, not just "a" sig. confirmation*

check into home ins policy or snag a collectors policy...

usually the single price of one carrier insurance can pay for the entire year of a personal policy or a simple policy addition.

*ie. no one under 18 can sign for the package. know of a true/sinisterly brilliant story of a 15yr signing for the card basically leaving no legal recourse for the seller.

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

If the legit value of the card exceeds 10k....then set up an appt with mr. Orlando for a single/same day drop off and pick up. Fly into town, make a vacation of it or just get in and out, and you never lose chain of custody of your card. Or drop off at a show to avoid the outbound shopping drama.

• Options
    muffinsmuffins Posts: 469 ✭✭✭

@new again collector said:
    On the packaging: I've noticed they send things back double boxed, so I've begun copying that when I send out. They'll send even a single item in a USPS medium flat rate box (the cube shape) full of balled up brown paper and a smaller ~10card size box buried in there that has the item inside wrapped in little bubbles wrap.

double boxing is key.
    as is adding cardboard inserts to top and bottom if sending usps to avoid case cracking issues.

one thing they don't do, and most should in raw form, is "bag" them.
    other than outright theft, moisture/water damage is the 2nd biggest issue.
    psa cases do add a certain amount of water "resistance", but just as double boxing, an extra layer can only help.
    if using fedex/ups, just use the free shipping label holders they provide for relative ease.

• Options

Bring it to the national, have them do it all there, bring it home with you

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ThoseBackPages said:
    Bring it to the national, have them do it all there, bring it home with you

BINGO!

Mike