Home Precious Metals
Options

Stockman: "After March 15 Everything Will Grind To A Halt"

123457»

Comments

• Options
    GoldFinger1969GoldFinger1969 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭✭

@morgansforever said:
    6.79% 30 year fixed, could be 10% in 3 months, car loans 6, 10, 15% even on new cars with a 800 credit score. How much more can the general public take? Many banks are offering 4.5%-5% 1 year CD's heck of a lot better than what my 401k and stocks are doing. Going to dump a bit of cash into a CD, God bless us all.

30-year mortgages are not going up 300 bp. in a few months or anytime soon.

CD rates are inching up but some banks still frozen at sub-1% yields.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

grinding, grinding, grinding . . .

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    RobMRobM Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

@GoldFinger1969 said:

30-year mortgages are not going up 300 bp. in a few months or anytime soon.

They won't have to. Very few individuals are borrowing to buy homes as even a modest 7% rate has priced them out of market. Mortgage purchase applications are lower than right after the 2009 housing bubble bust. Only reason prices are holding nationally is because no one with a 3% rate will be able to sell.

The next step is a new inflation target. 3%?

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

When we started looking for our first small house after graduating college around 1978 mortgage rates were 10%, the next year they were 13%, then 15%, and in October of 1981 they hit 18%.

Needless to say, we had to rent, but we would have been absolutely thrilled to get a 7% mortgage.

• Options

@RobM said:
    The next step is a new inflation target. 3%?

We'll know alot more in 5 days and especially 12 days between NFP, CPI, and FOMC releases.

• Options

Here is the link to the budget proposal the President proposes. If this was passed, (it won't be), combined with more Fed interest rate increases, I think we would see things grind to a halt a lot faster.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/budget/

• Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GoldFinger1969 said: “CD rates are inching up but some banks still frozen at sub-1% yields.”

That’s true but I find it baffling when it is so easy to move money these days.

Higashiyama
  • Options

@Higashiyama said:
    @GoldFinger1969 said: “CD rates are inching up but some banks still frozen at sub-1% yields.”

move it while you are free to do so

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GoldFinger1969 said:
    I can think of FEW people worse to follow for stock advice than David Stockman. Aside from running a nice-sized company into the ground a few decades ago, he has a TERRIBLE track record of stock market prognasticating and is best characterized as a perma-bear.

He will best be known for showing political courage in being the only Michigan politician to vote against the Chrysler Bailout. :)

jim cramer :D

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 10, 2023 3:47PM

@Goldminers said:
    When we started looking for our first small house after graduating college around 1978 mortgage rates were 10%, the next year they were 13%, then 15%, and in October of 1981 they hit 18%.

Needless to say, we had to rent, but we would have been absolutely thrilled to get a 7% mortgage.

A 7% rate on a home valued in 1978 is a lot different from a 7 % rate on that home valued in 2023

Treasury notes alot better to buy than CD’s !

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

A local credit union is offering CD's @ 4% for 8 months or 4.25% for 30 months. Literally down the street, no excuse not to take advantage of this.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options

@morgansforever said:
    A local credit union is offering CD's @ 4% for 8 months or 4.25% for 30 months. Literally down the street, no excuse not to take advantage of this.

will your earnings be greater than your loss of puchasing power at the end of CD term?

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

.> @derryb said:

@morgansforever said:

will your earnings be greater than your loss of puchasing power at the end of CD term?

Will his earnings be greater if he does nothing at all?

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will his earnings be greater if he does nothing at all?

The better question is "will his losses be less if he does nothing at all?"

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@morgansforever said:

will your earnings be greater than your loss of purchasing power at the end of CD term?

That's a great question that I have no answer for but at the pace of decline this economy is going, I would guess the dollar will have far less purchasing power than as of this writing. I'm not a financial wizard, nor do I pretend to be but 4.25% is a heck of a lot better than the shellacking I've taken over the last 2 years.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options

the shellacking is the hidden tax of 10+%. most people don't consider it beause it is not printed on your bank statement or deducted from your balance. It only shows its ugly head when you spend.

• Options

@Higashiyama said:

They are doing the RIGHT thing. If they don't need the money, let it walk. If they have to pay up for deposits they really don't need and can't loan it out or invest properly, no sense in keeping the $$$.

Failure to let "hot money" walk was behind every other banking crisis.

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@GoldFinger1969 said:
    I can think of FEW people worse to follow for stock advice than David Stockman. Aside from running a nice-sized company into the ground a few decades ago, he has a TERRIBLE track record of stock market prognasticating and is best characterized as a perma-bear.

He will best be known for showing political courage in being the only Michigan politician to vote against the Chrysler Bailout. :)

Cramer made 20% a year for 18 years for his clients. He walked away with about $400 MM excluding his TSC stake.

David Stockman probably couldn't get a job at Cramer's hedge fund as a RA. :)

• Options

@morgansforever said:

@morgansforever said:

Some are at 5% and accept deposits nationally.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GoldFinger1969 said:

@bronco2078 said:

@GoldFinger1969 said:

Cramer made 20% a year for 18 years for his clients. He walked away with about $400 MM excluding his TSC stake.

David Stockman probably couldn't get a job at Cramer's hedge fund as a RA. :)

tv cramer was a shill though. tv cramer used the audience as the other side of his own trades .

good work if you can get it

• Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 12, 2023 3:19PM

@GoldFinger1969 said:

@Higashiyama said:

They are doing the RIGHT thing. If they don't need the money, let it walk. If they have to pay up for deposits they really don't need and can't loan it out or invest properly, no sense in keeping the $$$.

Failure to let "hot money" walk was behind every other banking crisis.

———————————————————
    Yes, that makes sense, or almost. It’s still a bit of an odd world when treasury securities(for all intents and purposes risk free) are yielding more than bank CDs (low risk if you do your homework, but not risk free). Does that basically mean that banking is dying and most private borrowing is via securities firms? A related question—can you name any major bank paying CD rates that exceed T-bills or notes?

Higashiyama
  • Options

@bronco2078 said:
    tv cramer was a shill though. tv cramer used the audience as the other side of his own trades .

You have no proof of that statement which would almost qualify as slander. Not only did he agree to rules dictated by NBC/CNBC, the SEC watches financial commentators like a hawk.

What you are implying is fraud and illegal trading which are crimes -- which, of course, you have ABSOLUTELY no proof because they never happened.

• Options

@Higashiyama said:
    Yes, that makes sense, or almost. It’s still a bit of an odd world when treasury securities(for all intents and purposes risk free) are yielding more than bank CDs (low risk if you do your homework, but not risk free). Does that basically mean that banking is dying and most private borrowing is via securities firms? A related question—can you name any major bank paying CD rates that exceed T-bills or notes?

There are lots of CDs that pay more than Treasuries, you just have to look around. Decades ago, CDs were almost always higher except in the case of Zero Coupon Securities.

Many people are still not comfortable buying Treasuries or other securities in a brokerage account. Not everybody trades crypto on Robinhood. And some people believe an indirect government backing (FDIC) is stronger than a direct government backing (Treasuries, assuming no default).

• Options

Sold all my 2-year treasuries last week for a nice gain as 2-year interest rates dropped like a rock. Then bought Charles Schwab bank CD's paying 5.35%, for 12 and 18 months.

I converted to a much better rate and FDIC insured. Doing my part to help keep them afloat since my brokerage account is with them. LOL

• Options

@Goldminers said:
    I converted to a much better rate and FDIC insured. Doing my part to help keep them afloat since my brokerage account is with them. LOL

Schwab is fine......classic case of throwing the baby out with the bath water. :)

• Options
    D808LFD808LF Posts: 399 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Martin said:
    @derryb @cohodk as this thread is 5 years old. I have a simple question for each of you. It’s a yes or no question. Are you better off financially now than when this tread started? I’m just curious.

2c.

All's well in Renville. ;)

Since beginning this thread six years ago I've retired early, by 3 years; still living on the Islands along with my Ohana minus one; bought a beach house three months into retirement at 2 5/8%; four streams of income (fifth will be along soon). My personal coin & PM collections have done well in that time; nothing new here. We still travel a lot. The RenWife and I are definitely doing A-OK six years on.

However, two years of Bidenflation has uncomfortably eaten into the monthly RenBudget with no end in sight. I don't know how people do it. We have Commissary & Exchange privies - lotsa savings there. Retirees don't pay state taxes so we're saving 10-12% right there. We bought 'solar' outright for our new house; my neighbor does not have solar, same house, they pay $600-$700 monthly (everything's electric, no nat gas here). Other utilities are lower but that's because everyone is out of the house. And stocks, ugh, serious beating since January 2022....

And pineapples are $4 at Costco. Oh, the horror.

fka renman95, Sep 2005, 7,000 posts

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

@D808LF said:
    And pineapples are $4 at Costco. Oh, the horror.

Maybe try Aldi, I just bought pineapples for $1.49. RGDS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad to hear it, Comrade! So, your stocks have taken a beating and your coins & PMs have done well. But, but......I keep hearing that the economy is doing great and that there's really no inflation. The Big Guy says so.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@jmski52 said:

Glad to hear it, Comrade! So, your stocks have taken a beating and your coins & PMs have done well. But, but......I keep hearing that the economy is doing great and that there's really no inflation. The Big Guy says so.

our own big guy says so as well

• Options

@jmski52 said:

We need to know what specific stocks one has -- him or anybody else -- and the same with coins & PMs. What specific ones he/someone has....what the timeframe is.

Yes, stocks have done badly as have bonds since late-2021. PMs and coins a bit better.