Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

ICG certified foreign gold coins.

Hello and let me thank you for sharing your thoughts and knowledge with me. It is much appreciated.

I have 3 gold coins from Peru in ICG slabs and I am wondering if crossing them over to PCGS would pay off when I sell. If it is of interest, these pieces are: Peru, KM 242 50 Soles (MS-66), KM-243 100 soles (MS-68) and KM 268 1/2 sol (MS 65). I'm not sure that any of these pieces are "hot items" and so I'm just not sure if it would be worth the $ to cross them. Generally speaking, how well respected IS ICG in grading world gold coins?

If I may ask another question, I have a few RAW world gold coins as part of my composers/musician collection (I have original packaging from the mint including cases, COA and so on). For a few, included are Jamaica $100 KM-172, Austria 1000 Schillings KM-3000, Andorra 50 Dinars KM 82. Is it worth the expense to have these certified? My thinking is no....but your thoughts would be very much appreciated. If anyone would find photos helpful, please met me know.

Many thanks. MusicAl

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think it is worth the cost to cross your ICG coins to PCGS.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

You have some nice Peru coins. I would wait until you are ready to sell, then work with a good dealer in Latin America or world coins, and follow their advice. What's right to do today may have nothing to do with what's best X years from now when you decide to sell.

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

ICG was a pretty good company with world coins when they started. I know that they've screwed up with modern US and placed themselves out of the game very quickly, but my encounters with world coins certified by ICG have all been ok so far.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options

Hello, ajaan, Elmhurst and Syracusian.

Thanks so much for your valuable input!! With your much appreciated thoughts in mind, I think I will just let the coins stay in the ICG holders. Certification is an expensive process and I'm not sure that the cost would justify the action. I know 2 good gold coin dealers (world) and when the time comes...I may just give them a call.

Again, thanks!!!

MusicAl

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

1/2 Sol is gold? I need to look at the catalog for that one.

I might take a gamble on the 100 Soles, especially if I thought it might cross at grade at PCGS/NGC. These 50s and 100s were doing pretty well at one sale (I believe one of the NYINC sales a few years back) with lots of European interest.

The others, including the raw, probably leave them alone.

• Options

Hello, Prubas.

Good to hear about the 50 and 100 sol coins. They are nice pieces and I was able to buy them certified at gold price maybe 20 years or so ago. I'm glad you recall some interest in the pieces from Europe. That will be an interesting avenue to follow when I sell and I've made a note in the album regarding that suggestion.

The 1/2 sol was minted in 1976, 10,000 pieces, and commemorates the Battle of Ayacucho in .900 gold. I am kicking myself because I could have bought the 1 sol, KM 269 also at gold price...but I ran out of money buying the 3 coins I have. Oh well, guess I can't complain too much.

Many thanks!!! MusicAl