Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Really Nice 9s

I just had a sub pop. One with a card that I was sure was a 10 but popped as a 9. It is currently getting reviewed, but I am assuming with my luck and since it is a key rc (though not that expensive) it will stay a 9 since I sent it in on a monthly special.

Well this got me thinking. Anyone have any example of pics of self subbed cards that you hope for a 10 on but instead came back a 9?

I'll start

Looking for FB HOF Rookies

Comments

• Options

Man, thats a nice looking Sandberg!

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    ZTargZTarg Posts: 497 ✭✭✭

i understand the card is not sitting straight in the holder, but with that being said, the left border gets noticeably more narrow at the top causing quite a bit of tilt.

• Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    edited February 25, 2017 11:14PM

I pulled this one from a rack. You know when you are opening a pack and a card just jumps out at you and you say wow, that is a nice one. Before I sent it in I said if this is not a 10 I will never get a 10. Well it wasn't and I won't, LOL.

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZTarg said:
    i understand the card is not sitting straight in the holder, but with that being said, the left border gets noticeably more narrow at the top causing quite a bit of tilt.

Not saying it is 50/50 just thought it was a really nice example and since I just had it out I scanned it and added it to this thread. The card that started me thinking down this path is still at PSA

@ElvisP said:

I pulled this one from a rack. You know when you are opening a pack and a card just jumps out at you and you say wow, that is a nice one. Before I sent it in I said if this is not a 10 I will never get a 10. Well it wasn't and I won't, LOL.

Crack and resubmit. That look stellar to me.

• Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

Gem Mint 10 should mean "perfect". No flaws whatsoever. I'm not suggesting that PSA is perfect when it comes to perfection. Too many examples in the card-o-sphere which could spend a lifetime in dispute. Examine each card and find one basic flaw, that's all it should take. For the above shown examples, I'd immediately gravitate to the Sandberg tilt. The Yount is slightly thinner at the top border vs. bottom and you can see a difference of left/right centering near the bottom as well.

Now that I've cursed your cards, I suggest you resub them, as my opinion on other members graded stuff is usually dead wrong. ;)

• Options
    mickeymantle24mickeymantle24 Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭

I am planning to send this one in for review. I do not have my hopes up, but as they say "you never know unless you try."

[IMG]https://www.collectorfocus.com/images/show/MichaelF/mickey-mantle-pc/46913/mickey-mantle-1967-topps-150[/IMG]

• Options

Well just got this back from PSA was a self subbed 9 but after review....

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would add that there is no such thing as a "perfect" card. Given enough time, one could find a flaw in any card. I think for a ten, that flaw should be minute and not distracting. I think expecting perfection is unrealistic and will leave you disappointed every time

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭

Original owner since opening it in the summer of 1975. Great year!

• Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 6, 2017 8:34PM

That might be the best Brett RC I've ever seen. Zero chipping and zero printing issues, while nearly perfectly centered! I would keep sending that in until it bumped.

• Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭

@baz518 said:
    That might be the best Brett RC I've ever seen. Zero chipping and zero printing issues, while nearly perfectly centered! I would keep sending that in until it bumped.

I had it graded in '08 and never have tried to get it bumped and have never tried it with any of my graded cards. With family issues I have very little funds per year to spend on cards these days so Mr. Brett will stay a 9 for now. Maybe someday. Thanks for the compliment though baz518. Appreciate it. Doug

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Brett is stunning, Doug!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    TerwinTerwin Posts: 70 ✭✭

Nice Brett Doug...If you ever think of selling it, let me know. Tim.

• Options
    TheMickTheMick Posts: 217 ✭✭✭

That Brett is better than the PSA 9 that sold for $3,050 on EBAY last month. Very nice!! I just can't spot a flaw on your card.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

That brett is just amazing. You have a beaut there.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@Piggs said:
    Original owner since opening it in the summer of 1975. Great year!

This card is exactly what this thread is about

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking Brett Mini. Can't imagine any better looking one out there.

• Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭

Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    LittletweedLittletweed Posts: 623 ✭✭✭

Two of my favorites:

Matt

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

All were pack pulls and centered very well in my opinion. Unitas was graded as Miscut. Might try again or try sgc next time. I've been looking at other 59 Unitas's and they all don't seem 100 percent square as well. Wondering where this thing was on the sheet. Nothing beats a centered 9 though. Great cards everyone.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 10, 2017 12:19PM

general rule of thumb: whenever a 9 mesmerizes you, solid chance it's a gem laying quietly in concealment

(t/r corner ever-so-slightly touched, perhaps?)

regardless, just a magnificent baseball card

• Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

Thats the nicest Brett I've ever seen as well. Definitely a Gem 10 in a 9 holder.

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    muffinsmuffins Posts: 469 ✭✭✭
    edited March 10, 2017 1:02PM

• Options
    LargentcollectorLargentcollector Posts: 760 ✭✭✭
    edited March 10, 2017 1:25PM

These three jump out at me.

My new website www.lowgradegems.com

Tim
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 1, 2017 12:38PM

Has a few print dots. But harder than you think to find the card centered.