Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Live Auction Blues

I just sat through a live sports auction in which everything I was interested in sold for above retail while everything else, particularly high-dollar items, seemed to be a steal. I'm shaking my head, seeing people bid higher than the same BIN item on Ebay. On the other some sellers were just taking a bath on football and pre-war stuff.

I also collect ancient coins and most of what I collect is only available in Europe, which is kind of fun on one hand (making calls to Vienna and Munich) and a PITA on the other (dealing with unexpected currency conversion fees and $40 shipping handling fees on a coin that weighs a tenth of an ounce). There's probably only 1 guy there who collects what I collect and I'll be danged if it doesn't seem like he's bidding on the same stuff I am half the time.

Anyone have similar issues with these things or interesting stories they're willing to share?

Comments

• Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

My most disappointing defeats have come at the hands of a few of the usual suspects. I know they're around and expect them to fiercely defend their turf. Occasionally, they leave a carcass for me.