Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

OT: "The Great Gatsby" First Edition / Printing / 1st Issue Original Jacket on eBay now

Not my auction and don't know the seller. Off-topic, but think some of you guys into big ticket / rare items may appreciate this. The book itself is only a few thousand, but the original first issue dust jacket alone sells for $30k to over $100,000 depending on condition - this is the first one I've ever seen auctioned off on eBay.

ebay.com/itm/F-Scott-Fitzgerald-Great-Gatsby-1925-1st-Printing-Edition-Rare-all-points-/172539832435

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fljUDkU8u20

Comments

• Options

Fascinating video!

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for outing the auction...

No way I'll get it under 30k now.

• Options
    muffinsmuffins Posts: 469 ✭✭✭

ted clubber lang. get used to it.

• Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭

Cool video and item.

Kinda strange that he talks about how rare and condition sensitive the dust jacket is, but then he proceeds to spin the book around on its edge like that. That would make me cringe a bit if I was a bidder.

• Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

@CW said:
    Cool video and item.

Kinda strange that he talks about how rare and condition sensitive the dust jacket is, but then he proceeds to spin the book around on its edge like that. That would make me cringe a bit if I was a bidder.

If a piece of the dust jacket fell off, it wouldn't do a thing to the value.

The book has been removed off of eBay and is on its way to an auction house. They had no idea it was worth that kind of money.

• Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

@MULLINS5 said:

It depends on the size of the piece! :|

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Entertaining to read all the requests to end the auction early, including one bidder who wanted to buy it for his wife, lol..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    muffinsmuffins Posts: 469 ✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2017 11:03PM

@MULLINS5 said:

@CW said:
    Cool video and item.

The book has been removed off of eBay and is on its way to an auction house. They had no idea it was worth that kind of money.

granted, i know absolutely nothing about dust jackets and book auctions...

and while this particular dust jacket prolly doesn't surface all that often,

if there were two books w/ jackets up for auction within a reasonable time frame, one was fully intact and the other w/ a few chips throughout the top or wherever,

that would certainly effect my decision on what to spend on the chipped one, had I not won the previous and intact one. versa vica.

condition always plays a role in my perception of value. cards, cars, art and even health.

i would think it would play a role in most other collectors and collectibles as well.