Home Sports Talk
Options

Slow leadoff hitters

craig44craig44 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭✭

Saw a report that maddon is considering using schwarber at leadoff this year because of high obp. Can you think of any other non "traditional" leadoff men? I can remember wade boggs, Brian downing and I think Pete rose was used at leadoff.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

Comments

• Options
    ymareaymarea Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭

Slugger Rick Monday used to bat leadoff for the Cubs in the early 1970's. The lineup included the speedy, base-stealing Jose Cardenal.

Brett
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cleveland used Carlos Santana in that slot last year.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭✭

Batting Schwarber 1st is not very smart. He may get on frequently but then takes away the running game...or threat of. He potentially can "clog" up the bases. Ex. sharp single and he has to stop at 2nd where a speedier runner would be at 3rd. If on 3rd a deep fly ball from the following big guys scores a run. The idea isn't necessarily to get a batter on but try to get him in scoring position. I would bat him 2nd or 3rd instead. If he gets on it lets Bryant concentrate on just hitting as Schwarber is not going to run.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would disagree. The whole point IS to get guys on base. I would much much rather have a slow high on base guy than a speedy guy that struggles to get on. Lou Brock for instance, fast but very low obp. Would much rather have a wade boggs type than Brock.

If the player doesn't get on, they will never get into scoring position.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

In Strat-O-Matic I batted Gene Tenace first and then I pinch ran for him with Washington. Life was good

M

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

Start o matic! The good ole days

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    In Strat-O-Matic I batted Gene Tenace first and then I pinch ran for him with Washington. Life was good

M

In Strat-O-Matic, that probably worked OK, but in real life Tenace was no leadoff hitter, regardless of his superhuman OBP. Tenace was great no matter where he hit in the order, but he was really great with 2 outs, or with runners in scoring position. And with 2 outs AND runners in scoring position? One of the greatest of all time. I don't know if his managers actually kept those stats and were aware of it, but he spent most of his career hitting 5th, 6th or 7th - seemingly way too low in the order for a hitter with an OBP as high as Tenace's, but surely it maximized his plate appearances with 2 out, RISP. Probably he hit that low because his managers were idiots who couldn't see past his low batting average, but it's possible that they knew what they were doing.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.