Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

OFFICIAL CU BBCE 1979 TOPPS HOCKEY VENDING BOX BREAK

MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

Emailed BBCE and got the green light from Rick to proceed with an official rip.

Here are the details:

1 1979 Topps Hockey Vending Box. Box contains 500 cards. This is a box that Steve has on consignment. It was priced at $6,000 and on sale for $5,495. They will discount it further for us to $5,250

BBCE can do 50 10 card lots for $105 per lot plus shipping. This is a really good deal because wax packs contain 10 cards (not counting wax/gum stained cards) and run $200 to $275 per pack.

The vending box will be opened (once everyone has paid) and each of the cards will be directly removed and placed in a separate cardsaver. Keeping the cards in the same order, they will be grouped in 10 card lots and then they will go out randomly.

Shipping rates run:

Domestic USPS Priority Mail = $10 for the first lot and $2 for each additional.
Canadian USPS First-Class in a bubble envelope = $10 and $2 for each additional.

The shipping may seem high, but remember each card is going in a cardsaver, and I imagine this is a job that will take many hours for BBCE to put together.

To purchase a lot, reply / post 100% FIRM COMMITMENTS in this thread. I will update the list with your ID below.
Members with below 10 posts must first communicate, directly via private message, before committing.

Please make posts only directly pertaining to this CU BBCE rip and keep conversations to private messages.

Hopefully we can make this work!

1. MULLINS5
  2. MULLINS5
  3. MULLINS5 - added on 2-26
  4. sushihotwings
  5. sushihotwings
  6. lseecon
  7. lseecon
  8. vintagefun
  9. w785
  10. SpinFadeSplash23
  11. SpinFadeSplash23
  12. flatfoot816
  13. shu4040
  14. fergie23
  15. fergie23
  16. Cakes
  17. Cakes
  18. brad31
  19. ssollars
  20. gemint
  21. thunderdan
  22. thunderdan
  23. Mefer
  24. or246
  25. or246
  26. brad 31
  27. Dragnet
  28. LOTSOS
  29. LOTSOS
  30. Mefer
  31. CSUrunandstun
  32. mcolney1
  33. 1all
  34. 1all
  35. nendee
  36. nendee
  37. w785
  38. mikelowell25
  39. mikelowell25
  40. Justus

Comments

• Options
    OddRodzOddRodz Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

Am in if this is a randomizing slot approach. Thank You. One slot.

• Options

Two slots please

On the hunt high grade Star Basketball.
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    edited February 23, 2017 5:20PM

I'm not going to be in on this one but kudos to BBCE for allowing to do this.

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 23, 2017 6:21PM

What happens if there are 515 cards or less than 500? These vending are known to not have exactly 500. Better to decide now than later if we randomize the extra to 1 person or what. If short I have no idea how to handle but I think that is less likely to happen.

• Options

@secretstash said:
    What happens if there are 515 cards or less than 500? These vending are known to not have exactly 500. Better to decide now than later if we randomize the extra to 1 person or what. If short I have no idea how to handle but I think that is less likely to happen.

Good thinking. If there are less than 500 they can come out of my lots. More than 500 I'm sure BBCE can randomly throw them in lots. I'll touch base with Rick on this.

• Options
    lseeconlseecon Posts: 318 ✭✭

I will take two lots. Thanks

• Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

In for one. If there are extras, place 1 extra card in random packs til gone.

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    w785w785 Posts: 35 ✭✭

i'll take 1.

• Options

2 for me. Thanks.

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭

I'll give it a shot w-1 slot

• Options
    shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭

Sure I'll take one

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭

Two lots please

I've opened 4 of these 1979 Topps hockey vending boxes over the years. You used to be able to buy them for under $1k back in the day.

Robb

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two slots please, thanks.

I hope I keep my hot rip streak alive.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will take 1. Mullins seems to me if you are volunteering to be shorted if there are less you should get extras if there are more. Kind of unfair to take all the risk only if there is downside.

• Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

@fergie23 said:
    Two lots please

I've opened 4 of these 1979 Topps hockey vending boxes over the years. You used to be able to buy them for under $1k back in the day.

Robb

Robb, how has the quality of the vending been as compared to the wax packs as I know you have opened both? First hockey set I collected as a kid and I still have my Gretzky card although it is a 6 at best.

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options

@brad31 said:
    Will take 1. Mullins seems to me if you are volunteering to be shorted if there are less you should get extras if there are more. Kind of unfair to take all the risk only if there is downside.

If there are extras, I agree that Mullins should get them since he is taking the risk of it possibly being short. I would suggest if there are extras, those should come evenly off the front and back of the box as those cards have the greatest risk of damage.

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options

@fergie23 said:
    Two lots please

Robb

How many Gretzky did you pull on avg?

• Options
    ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    edited February 24, 2017 7:47AM

@secretstash said:

@fergie23 said:
    Two lots please

Robb

How many Gretzky did you pull on avg?

With the set count at 264, I would assume almost 2 on average is a safe bet, but of course would love to hear from those who have ripped vending before. I also would like to know what Mike asked in regards to the quality coming out of the vending boxes versus the wax.

• Options
    ssollarsssollars Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭

Put me down for 1 slot.

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭

For vending I opened the corners were not as good as from packs. I think I pulled 6 Gretzky RCs from the boxes. One PSA 8, one PSA 9 OC and a couple PSA 7s. I pulled some PSA 9 commons but at the time they didn't sell for anything.

Robb

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fergie23 said:
    For vending I opened the corners were not as good as from packs. I think I pulled 6 Gretzky RCs from the boxes. One PSA 8, one PSA 9 OC and a couple PSA 7s. I pulled some PSA 9 commons but at the time they didn't sell for anything.

Robb

6 Gretzky's would be awesome.

Did you ever break an O-Pee-Chee vending box?

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2017 1:20PM

@Cakes said:

@fergie23 said:

Robb

6 Gretzky's would be awesome.

Did you ever break an O-Pee-Chee vending box?

I think he meant 6 Gretzky's from 4 boxes which isn't nearly as great as it falls less than the math implies. 1.5 gretzky per box he averaged and we are hoping for the mathematical 2+.

• Options

I've only opened wax (about one Gretzky per box). The late Gerry Chartrand opened quite a few Topps vending circa 2004 and said you can count on 1-2 per box. List updated and thank you to all the participants thus far!

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not a hockey collector but what the heck, I'll take a slot. By the way is this FASC? I assume so since Steve stopped authenticating loose vending boxes.

• Options
    edited February 25, 2017 6:55AM

@gemint said:
    I'm not a hockey collector but what the heck, I'll take a slot. By the way is this FASC? I assume so since Steve stopped authenticating loose vending boxes.

I'll ask Rick now.

• Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

I'll take two spots please

• Options

@thunderdan said:
    I'll take two spots please

Of course you will Dan. May Wayne smile upon you.

Collecting:
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gemint said:

Steve will authenticate loose vending boxes from Fritsch.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

From Steve on the provenance of these vending boxes:

"We bought 12 boxes from a Topps employee 3-4 years back I believe. This was before we marked boxes “FASC”. These boxes were not from a sealed case. We were really confident in them when we bought them. He has several other impressive items that we bought from him. We immediately sold 6 of them to one of our biggest customers. He opened them all the boxes yielded 3 boxes with 1 Gretzky, 1 box with 1 Gretzky and 2 boxes with zero Gretzkys. Thanks! Steve"

• Options

If interested in more lots, at this time, you can request as many as you would like - no limits. Thanks!

• Options
    edited February 26, 2017 5:58PM

Yee Haw

• Options

If Steve wasn't confident in the box he would have removed his seal and not offer it for sale in his shop. He would have made good to the gentleman who has it on consignment.

Of the 12 he purchased from the Topps employee, he sold six to someone who opened them.

From those six, I think what Steve is saying is that 4 had one Gretzky a piece and two had zero. I am surprised that two had zero.

I think Steve replies a lot of times on his cell since he's out buying product which is why the paragraph may sound the way it does. If you'd like OddRodz I can take your name off the list, just let me know.

• Options

Yeah that would be better here. Thanks Mullings. Am out of this one.

• Options
    MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

I will take one lot. ThankS

Matt

• Options
    or246or246 Posts: 108 ✭✭✭

Birthday is coming up, sounds like a good present for me. I'll take 2 slots.

Currently working on 1970 Topps Hockey PSA 9 set
  • Options

1/2 way there!

I guess we will leave this up for about a week to see if it sells out. If it hasn't by Sunday I'll let BBCE know.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will take one more just to help out in hopes there will be similar breaks in the future.

• Options
    DragnetDragnet Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

why not, I'll take 1

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll take 2. If anyone hits nicely centered cards and wants to sell let me know. I have the current number 3 set on the registry ( http://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/hockey/company-sets/1979-80-topps/publishedset/221772 ) so I'd be more than happy to pay fair value for possible upgrades.

Kevin

Kevin

• Options
    MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

I will go ahead and take one more in the hopes this is a go.

Matt

• Options

1 slot please!

Successful transactions with FavreFan1971, ffishonn, Davemri, Publius, DavidPuddy, frcarvell, recbball, and many others...
  • Options
    mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭

I will take one slot. Thanks, Tony

Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989
  • Options
    nendeenendee Posts: 551 ✭✭✭

I'm in.

Cubs and Purdue Fan - Ouch!

My collecting blog: http://ctcard.wordpress.com
  • Options
    1all1all Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

I will take 2 slots. Thanks!

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

FWIW I requested 2 spots in my original post not 1. So you can add me at your leisure to a second spot. One less to go.

Kevin

Kevin

• Options
    nendeenendee Posts: 551 ✭✭✭

I'll take 2 slots

Cubs and Purdue Fan - Ouch!

My collecting blog: http://ctcard.wordpress.com
  • Options
    w785w785 Posts: 35 ✭✭

I'll take an additional lot for a total of 2 lots. Thanks!

• Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

I'll take two lots please--thanks!

• Options
    JustusJustus Posts: 179 ✭✭

I'll take 1 slot please.

Successful transactions w/Comicgeek68, Statman, Scotgreb, Aupt, captainthreeputt, diamondman, Mickey71, slantycouch, Bkritz, BABERUTHJOEDIMAGGIO, craigger, Huggyface, and many others.
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2017 12:55PM

How many slots away is this to live? I am only asking because several above me have asked for two slots and only been given one if I read the list right.