Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Do I own this medal? An eBay conundrum....with pictures for interest.

StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 23, 2017 1:11PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

I saw a seller out of Belgium who has several interesting medals. He has a couple auctions where he lumped together several medals as one lot.

I contacted him as there were 3 medals (out of 10) in I wanted from one lot and as his beginning price was reasonable I figured I'd get a decent deal. He agreed and this is the auction listing he redid for me (no cheating outside of ebay):
ebay.com/itm/152420976548?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It took a couple weeks and the package arrives. Unfortunately instead of medal #10, he included a medal from a different multi-medal auction: ebay.com/itm/8-different-ancient-medals-by-Hecq-De-Cock-Deurinck-Mauquoy-Pelletier-etc-/152444173738?hash=item237e617daa:g:qvoAAOSwTglYkm6k

Interestingly, his ebay feedback hit is for sending a poorly packaged item and he was called rude.

Anyway, I get the third medal and actually, I love it. It's right up my hippocamp/horse/mythology theme and I DON'T want to send it back...but I did contact him make sure he didn't NEED it back.

I offered to keep the three he sent me and asked him to do another 'me only BIN' for the original #10 (Pegasus) medal.

No response in 48+ hours now. At this point I know he doesn't need it back as it's still listed for sale (and sucks if someone hits that BIN...) and is not some super rarity/valuable item etc.

So...do I now own the one he sent me? Do I keep pestering him for the other one I'm still mildly interested in at the risk of him asking for this one back? We are talking a $40 transaction at this point, so the prices are quite good. Or, do I go silent and just keep this one...I like it, it was worth the price and I'm not ripping him in any way as far as I can tell.

And, to show off my latest shots:

and a detail shot utilizing my new set up...

Comments

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buy the one thats still listed , that will get his attention B)

• jdmernjdmern Posts: 289 ✭✭✭

Regardless of the situation, that is a VERY nice medal you ended up with!

Justin Meunier

Boardwalk Numismatics

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    Buy the one thats still listed , that will get his attention B)

VERY tempting, :D:D but it's in a lot with 7 other medals of which I might want a couple...and I hate to drop over $250 to mess with the guy.

If he was smart he'd give me a BIN of $40 on the original one I wanted...

well he can't deliver the lot as described . I admit its a little provocative but when someone else buys it he will have the same problem . Well I suppose he could have 2 of that medal :*

Yep, I just don't want him asking for it back then... ;)

• 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭✭

I would give him a couple more business days to respond. Then ask one more time. If no response in 3 or 4 business days, then we're done. Either keep what I got or file a claim. But no more business. To me it's not worth the agida.

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay

@Stork said:
    Yep, I just don't want him asking for it back then... ;)

Having a friend with a different ID ask for the one you are interested in

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

A sticky wicket to be sure but that is a fantastic medal and top notch imaging IMHO.

• CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭

As the seller, I would be happy to know I was going to sell one more medal than I originally thought. I also would want to cancel a listing for an item I no longer had. I don't understand the silence on his part, unless he's out of town or something. Those Europeans get a lot of vacation time. :smile:

https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.

@CIVITAS said:
    As the seller, I would be happy to know I was going to sell one more medal than I originally thought. I also would want to cancel a listing for an item I no longer had. I don't understand the silence on his part, unless he's out of town or something. Those Europeans get a lot of vacation time. :smile:

Exactly. He was willing to rearrange his lots so I could get the ones I wanted, and I expressed interest in the extra (ie still want to 'buy' the one I bought, and keep the extra he sent). Still no answer and his auctions have relisted twice without editing. That may be eBay on autopilot, but who knows.

I have given up and if he ever contacts me about it I'll make the same offer. Doubt I will hear from him, which is a shame. There are a couple more of his I like, and he seems to let them go at decent prices. At least I have made sure I'm not ripping him off--the prices of all involved medals are equivalent.

• The Haven van Gent medal is very cool....I'd keep it and add it to my collection.

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kind of wonder what would make a seller seem to care less about pleasing a customer and forgoing future sales. I'd leave a neutral and move on.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21