Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1972 Topps Hockey Wax Box BBCE

Steve lists it as a hard to find box. Are the wax boxes really rare? I checked POP on packs and only 39 packs have ever been graded which is pretty low compared to 1972 Football packs that have been graded 355 times. I realize football is more popular but at the same time is the hockey box a future winner?

Comments

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭

Hockey boxes were produced in less quantity....but then again you need low supply and high demand for it to be good.

Hockey still has low demand compared with football.

• Options
    FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 466 ✭✭✭

Let's break it!

• Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

It is hard to find. I still own mine. Several years ago I sent an unauthenticated box to Steve with the intention of selling it, but he returned it to me because the seals had popped on a couple packs, otherwise it was clean. Glad he did. The issue itself is not that attractive and would likely not yield much in the way of dollar to dollar value if packs were opened. The box looks super cool though, so I never gave much thought to selling it since I got it back. Best deal I never made with BBCE. ;-)

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FirstBeard said:
    Let's break it!

I would be in for a Hockey break but I would prefer a different year.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭

@spazzy said:
    I checked POP on packs and only 39 packs have ever been graded which is pretty low compared to 1972 Football packs that have been graded 355 times. I realize football is more popular but at the same time is the hockey box a future winner?

the big difference is that Frisch has a large supply of 72 football packs.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

1972 seems to be one of the easiest years for Hockey wrappers. Not sure if that's a reflection on unopened material being more common.

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

From the one picture on the BBCE site, that box looks AWESOME!!

Daniel
  • Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 23, 2017 6:16AM

not mine...but these seem to be rare to find

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

http://toppsarchives.blogspot.com/2012_02_01_archive.html

• Options
    spazzyspazzy Posts: 592 ✭✭

That's a cool rack, I don't remember ever seeing Hockey rack packs from 72 especially with 2 Orrs

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spazzy said:
    That's a cool rack, I don't remember ever seeing Hockey rack packs from 72 especially with 2 Orrs

That is sort of actually 3 Orr cards since he won the Hart that year. I have no idea how to tell but my instinct would be that it seems extremely unlikely that 3 Orrs would have been packaged like that by the manufacturer in the same pack.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 25, 2017 10:52AM

For those on here who are not up on or otherwise into hockey, the early 70's is very similar to baseball relative to popularity. A 1971 hockey box would sell for more than a 1970 and a lot more than a 1972. Then there is a big step down from 1972 to 1973 (also, 1973 quality control was absolutely atrocious).

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2021 8:59PM

I like living vicariously through high grade empties!