Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1981 Football Wax question

Hi guys. So I have 2 1981 Football wax boxes and they are sealed in the 1979 topps issue. I know they came in this form but my questions are about why did they do so?
In 1979 the packs only had 12 card and cost 20cents but then they put the 1981 cards inside these and raised the price 10 cents. Regular 1981 packs still had the 30cent price tag but you got 3 more cards as well making it 15total. So if I was paying 30cents all year long for the regular packs and then these came out at the same time I wouldnt be to happy buying them. So was this issued during the first months of release or at the end of the year? Are they harder to find or worth less than the regular issue?

Comments

• Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭

Tops ran out of wrappers in 1981. They had 1979 wrappers left and decided to put the remaining 1981 cards in those wrappers.

Because you are only getting 12 cards per pack instead of 15, the packs you have are worth a little bit less. I'm not sure how much less. I don't think they are considered scarce and have a slightly less demand.

The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Crazy they did this at the end off the year and still asked for the 30cents per pack with less cards. They couldnt just make more wrappers? They must have made a boat load of 1979 wrappers then as they did it with 1980 packs as well.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2017 12:00PM

Topps did it with 1985 baseball packs in 1981 boxes but they placed a new price sticker over the tab on top of the box to reflect the 1985 price point.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    curchcurch Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

Great looking boxes, nonetheless!

Always looking for vintage wax boxes!