Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Guess what I've received in the mail

desslokdesslok Posts: 310 ✭✭✭
edited February 20, 2017 3:24AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Yesterday (February 19th) I received the printed auction catalog for Goldberg's New York Sale, January 10th. I got a slip in the mailbox and had to physically go to the post office and stand in line to get the "package". The postal service here sucks big time.

As I've been following this auction house online anyway, I didn't really need the printed catalog, although I have to admit it is an incredibly well-executed catalog, with fantastic images and descriptions on high quality paper. But who needs it more than a month after the auction closed? I'm going to ask them to stop sending these. Hope it won't ruffle anyone's feathers over there, but I'll be fine with electronic catalogs.

Comments

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have the same problem with a couple of German Auction houses.
    Catalogues are shipped Via DHL overseas or even FedEx, with tracking the whole 9 yards.
    They must make an obscene amount of money at their auctions.
    Some of the catalogues are hard bound and always very high quality paper and printing.
    all their stuff is perfect and easier to see online way before the printed stuff arrives.
    Maybe we should all ask them to stop this practice and reduce their "juice" by a couple of points instead.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2017 7:25PM

I personally like having all the bound catalogs on my shelf

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KellenCoin said:

I do too. But when I'm researching a coin, I'm nearly always doing it online, so I use online resources, not printed ones. It turns out my massive library of catalogs is mostly useless.

Not to mention, the darn things weigh several tons.

• desslokdesslok Posts: 310 ✭✭✭

@KellenCoin said:

I can understand that, and I do have a small library of past auction catalogs that are especially relevant to my areas of collecting. But I can't keep all the printed catalogs of all the auction houses, that would require way too much space.

• ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

I got one from Germany via Fed Ex, they actually wanted me to sign for it, and left the note to pick it up at their distribution center. Didn't bother to go get it.

• marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭✭✭

A true numismatist piles 'em around his home as door stoppers. Some of the better sales catalogs can be used for self defense purposes too.

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

@marcmoish said:
    A true numismatist piles 'em around his home as door stoppers. Some of the better sales catalogs can be used for self defense purposes too.

My brother built a coffee table out of his.