Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What if? cards...

Was there ever a card that you wish was made...or made better? I had always 'wished' that the Elway RC would have used a better photo than what they did. It is an iconic card but...What if they used an 'in action' pic. I combined the 1984 Elway RC with the 1984 Elway sticker to see...What if? Anybody else have any?

Comments

• Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

That looks bumpable. Send in for review.

Like the idea for an improvement over the standard issue for sure.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the new and improved elway. I always disliked the picture topps used for the gwynn rookie. Also would be cool if the headshots of the 74 Winfield and 79 Ozzie were action shots.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    Loyalty32Loyalty32 Posts: 497 ✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2017 12:49PM

I always wished Andre Dawson had a 1977 O-Pee-Chee card. (and a single player 1977 Topps as well!)

Thanks
    Craig

• Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

I'd love a 69 Staubach.

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

@vintagefun said:
    I'd love a 69 Staubach.

Agree or a 1980 through 1985 Earl Campbell.

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

63 rose

PackManInNC
  • Options
    rhilbelirhilbeli Posts: 133 ✭✭✭

1959 Topps Jim Taylor.

Topps used a photo of the wrong Jim Taylor (St. Louis Cardinals) for both his 1959 (rookie) and 1960 cards.

My Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame Registry Set

"The Packers are kinda like your kids. You dont love them because they are good, you love them because they are yours"
  • Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

Wish there was a 1980 OPC Henderson Rookie, I also would have liked for Billy Martin to have been on the 1980 Topps Yankees team card as opposed to just a handful of the proofs that are floating around.

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    edited February 19, 2017 5:36PM

Why wouldn't the '61 Taylor be considered his RC since that is the first one he "appeared" on?

• Options
    mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭

@ElvisP said:
    Why wouldn't the '61 Taylor be considered his RC since that is the first one he "appeared" on?

I think so, but not according to the "book" - I don't own a 59 or 60 and don't want to.

Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989
  • Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@rhilbeli said:
    1959 Topps Jim Taylor.

Topps used a photo of the wrong Jim Taylor (St. Louis Cardinals) for both his 1959 (rookie) and 1960 cards.

Wow...did not know that thanks for sharing

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Tragic" (Canadians will see what I did there ;) ) that there was never really a mainstream card made of Bill Barilko beyond The Winning Goal. What an unfortunate oversight. A solo RC of his would have made for an absolutely incredibly popular card. I'd like to come up with a way for the non-hockey crowd out there to understand the significance of this one but it might be tough to relate for some.

(And no, I don't consider the 1949 World Wide Gum Wrapper as a viable option)

• Options

@scashaggy said:

@travis t said:
    That looks bumpable. Send in for review.

Like the idea for an improvement over the standard issue for sure.

You're right! Just got it back from review.

You are lucky that the grader assigned to your review was Nigel. That card definitely needed that extra push over the cliff.

• Options
    clarke442clarke442 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭✭

1968 Topps Baseball Red Sox Team Card
    Why didn't they make one ?
    The year after the "Impossible Dream" season and Yaz's Triple Crown
    Still bums me out

• Options

I would also love to have seen a Laval Voisins Mario Lemieux card issued in 1982, '83 and/or '84.

• Options
    rhilbelirhilbeli Posts: 133 ✭✭✭

@scashaggy said:
    Here's a quick photoshop to see...What if?

Love the '59 Taylor!

Unfortunately, the '59 rookie is considered his rookie, and is included on the Pro Football HOF Registry as such. Even though it is not his picture, the prices for that '59 card have gone through the roof b/c of the popularity of that registry set.

Rumor has it that Jim Taylor for a while would refuse to sign the cards with the wrong picture. Made life difficult on HOF signed rookie collectors.

In the Packers Team HOF registry (link below) it was decided to only use cards where players were actually in a Packers Jersey - kudos to Troy (FavreFan1971)

My Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame Registry Set

"The Packers are kinda like your kids. You dont love them because they are good, you love them because they are yours"
  • Options
    jskirwinjskirwin Posts: 700 ✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2017 10:41AM

What if... Clemente's plane hadn't gone down in Nicaragua?
    But typical 1973 Topps quality control. This one would be graded EXMT with that centering...

• Options
    edited February 20, 2017 1:27PM

@jskirwin said:
    What if... Clemente's plane hadn't gone down in Nicaragua?
    But typical 1973 Topps quality control. This one would be graded EXMT with that centering...

Cool photo but gotta paste in a head that doesn't have a cap on instead.

• Options
    edited February 20, 2017 1:27PM

• Options
    mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭

Not unusual in those days to wear your fielding cap underneath your batting helmet. Cool '74!

Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989
  • Options
    clarke442clarke442 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭✭

@clarke442 said:
    1968 Topps Baseball Red Sox Team Card
    Why didn't they make one ?
    The year after the "Impossible Dream" season and Yaz's Triple Crown
    Still bums me out

I am sure Topps would have used the same from previous years, so I went different.

• Options
    jskirwinjskirwin Posts: 700 ✭✭✭

@mcolney1 said:
    Not unusual in those days to wear your fielding cap underneath your batting helmet. Cool '74!

That's Clemente's batting helmet flying off to the right. I snagged a photo from the '71 World Series and photoshopped it into the '74 Pirates team card.