Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Any info available on this - possibly Canadian - wrestling medal?

RTScott1978RTScott1978 Posts: 73
edited February 17, 2017 8:26PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Hello,

Came across this piece and am unable to find any info on it. It was part of a group of coins I purchased from a Canadian seller, which makes me believe that is where it was made. Not only was the seller from Canada, but they had primarily Canadian coins for sale as well.

Judging by the sparring gentlemen's attire, I'd assume the approximate date is early 20th century or, perhaps, even late 19th. It is bronze and slightly larger than a UK crown. Sorry, no scale or caliper.

If anyone might have a reference this could be included in, or if some one might know just what it is off the top of their head, please let me know.

Thanks!

"A rich man is nothing but a poor man with money." - W. C. Fields

Comments

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭

Nice piece, Looks like something from 1880's to 1910. I am not aware of a catalogue for these. Interesting wreath on reverse - looks like a mix or laurel and oak leaves. Possibly British? My best suggestion would be to google search.

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    RTScott1978RTScott1978 Posts: 73
    edited February 22, 2017 8:02PM

Thanks, I really enjoy the look of this piece and couldn't pass it up for the price. I've searched as many combinations of key words I thought might yield some helpful results, but to no avail. Most results were of modern medals you could personalize.

I'm thinking of asking the original seller if he had any info on it at all, but don't think much would come of that considering he listed it as 'Unknown Wrestling Medal'.

"A rich man is nothing but a poor man with money." - W. C. Fields