Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The Tri Star Show, Star Wars and .... Big BIrd?

I have taken close to a two year hiatus from going to the card show. The past few times, I simply didn't have any luck finding some good lots to wheel & deal, so I didn't feel much of a pull to go. When Tri-Star rolled into town this past weekend, I decided on a whim to take the hike up there with my man-child in tow. Things are different now:

My son is 2 feet taller
I wasn't in line before they opened
I only went one day, instead of three
I didn't have a rolling suitcase to carry my treasures in

This was quite the opposite of my usual trip. Normally, my excursions to the show are characterized by the number of trips I take to and from the cardboard-mobile (my minivan) with the dolly I borrowed from whatever dealer I did something with.

I felt no urgency...it was like I was a regular attendee, just going there to have fun. (Well that, and to find some new Canseco cards I didn't have yet!) The last time we went proved to be virtually fruitless, but with the rate of production of new cards over the past 2-3 years, I figured there should be at least SOME I didn't have.

I was wrong.

Out of ALL of the countless tables of baseball cards ....

ONLY ONE had a Canseco ... and I had it already.

No problem, though. My son was delighted to find that the selection of Star Wars cards and memorabilia was more prevalent this year than all of the other years we had ever gone to, combined.

This picture right here means more to me than anything else that happened at the show. I really had fun with him. In keeping with tradition, we also had a nice $25 lunch of junk that consisted of chili cheese hot dogs, nachos, coke and a slab of fudge on our way out.

Between all of the moustache / Rollie Finger conversations that were struck up (a handful of people ALWAYS say something if I do up the 'stache), I was able to meet some of the members on the forums for the first time: Keyzer Soze, Johnburris, Batottu, Redsmitty03, Jewcer2k5, Tiki4MVP and David R. (Sorry, David - I don't recall your username.) it was nice meeting you folks!

When we got home, my son had fun sorting his new Star Wars cards -

I thought hey, why not make a Custom Cuts card (shameless plug) out of the occasion? Here is the wrapper

and the card ...

I didn't go home COMPLETELY empty-handed though. I did get some one touch holders. A few singles, and a few booklet holders. Why? Because I made a few cards.

The first one fits in quite nicely with the Star Wars theme.

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI BOOKLET

First, the outside of the booklet:

The outside features all holo-foil print and graphics, with two boxes to house the authenticity stickers.

Now, for the inside:

I LOVE how it came out. (We won't mention that I had to redo the Mark Hamill portion due to a last name spelling error ... Hammil or is it Hammill or ...) Even the inner binding's pattern is holo-foil.

I can't wait to see this signed!

The next one is of a fellow who made quite a splash back in the 70s. Have you heard? Bird is the word!

The one and only Mark Fidrych! How fitting that I'm chopping up a Tri Star card after having come back from a Tri Star show, right? Shockingly enough, out of all the 1/1, patch, auto, etc. cards, this one was quite possibly the easiest for me to chop up emotionally :)

Here it is: Cut auto / Jumbo patch!

With as much as I love this card, I must admit, the final product doesn't have Big Bird. Here is the what the final looks like:

While I think the Big Bird card pops much more, I do love the Detroit patch card as well!

The back just might be my favorite back to a card I've done, though:

A holo-foil back to match the holo-foil front :)

It just goes to show you that this hobby has changed - for me, at least. It used to be ONLY about buying and selling. Accumulating. Now, it is more about creating cards and enjoying the feedback that comes from them. Hunting the Canseco cards I don't yet have. Instead of finding my enjoyment in the hobby by virtually spending the night at the card shows and being all business, I truly enjoyed just being at the show with my son, and watching him look through cards. There are so many dimensions to this hobby to me now, and for that I am grateful.

Tanner Jones, Author of Confessions of a Baseball Card Addict - Now Available on Amazon!

Comments

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Star Wars card is insanely great for a do-it-yourselfer!

Mark Hamill is going to be signing autographs at a show up in Dallas next month. You could get it signed by him up there!

Steve

• Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

Nothing beats going to a show with your kid. My oldest boy and my daughter never had any interest, and my youngest son last went with me to a local show when he had to stand on his tip toes to see over the edge of the display cases. He's 6'-1" now, but he has other interests. Sigh.

Love your card creations (as usual)! :smile:

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was at the show with my son as well Saturday and Sunday. I cannot believe I missed seeing the Canseco guy/artist/novelist/humorist. Sad

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    mouschimouschi Posts: 687 ✭✭✭✭

@SDSportsFan said:
    That Star Wars card is insanely great for a do-it-yourselfer!

Mark Hamill is going to be signing autographs at a show up in Dallas next month. You could get it signed by him up there!

Steve

Thanks! If all goes well, this should be signed at the end of the month by both.

@bobsbbcards said:
    Nothing beats going to a show with your kid. My oldest boy and my daughter never had any interest, and my youngest son last went with me to a local show when he had to stand on his tip toes to see over the edge of the display cases. He's 6'-1" now, but he has other interests. Sigh.

Love your card creations (as usual)! :smile:

Thanks Bob! My son has gone with me almost every weekend it has been in town. Whenever it used to come into town, I would go Friday, Saturday and Sunday. He was SO small back then when we started. He too, is probably about 6'2, as he just passed me up in height a few months ago. I knew it was coming. His hands and feet were already bigger. Heck, his voice is even deeper than mine! As long as his moustache doesn't get bigger than mine, I think I'm good.

@rexvos said:
    I was at the show with my son as well Saturday and Sunday. I cannot believe I missed seeing the Canseco guy/artist/novelist/humorist. Sad

Ah bummer! next time!

Tanner Jones, Author of Confessions of a Baseball Card Addict - Now Available on Amazon!
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always look forward to your creations. These do not disappoint. Enjoy your children's company while you can, for they grow up so fast.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Always look forward to your creations. These do not disappoint. Enjoy your children's company while you can, for they grow up so fast.

I agree - he is getting too old, too fast :(

• Options
    bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

Hey Tanner! It was cool seeing you at the show with your son.

I really got a kick out of Tanner walking around in a signed Canseco jersey - as an autograph collector myself there's literally NOTHING WORSE than seeing someone WEAR their autographed jersey, but this is one case where I'm willing to make an exception!

• Options

@bounce said:
    Hey Tanner! It was cool seeing you at the show with your son.

I really got a kick out of Tanner walking around in a signed Canseco jersey - as an autograph collector myself there's literally NOTHING WORSE than seeing someone WEAR their autographed jersey, but this is one case where I'm willing to make an exception!

It is literally the only jersey I have of his that isn't cut up into shreds :) I figured it'd be best to wear that than anything else so people could recognize me. Sometimes the 'stache hides my face!

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mouschi - Is this the Tri Star show at the Cow Palace? I see there is another show in late April. Is it worth attending? I'm not into autographs, so my main purpose would be to find some modern FB singles to fill out my sets and to buy some boxes to rip. I'm driving up from SoCal, so I want to make sure it is worth the drive.

Mike
  • Options
    49ersGuy49ersGuy Posts: 382 ✭✭

To answer the question above. The Cow Palace show is solid for cards but I do not think it is worth the drive from SoCal. Most of what you see selling is mid-grade cards at best and just displayed in hopes of covering the cost for the table. Generally most of the dealers there are looking to buy. I tend to see the same dealers selling the same cards every year. Not to say there is not cards you would be interested in but is it worth the time and money driving up and back? not to me.

There is no doubt in my mind that you can find the same things you are looking for at cheaper prices too....on eBay.

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the advice. I might head out to Vegas for the Henderson mall show a week before instead. At least I can split Aces and Eights (and Fours) there.

Mike
  • Options
    49ersGuy49ersGuy Posts: 382 ✭✭

Make sure to hit the buffet at Bellagio too.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

As always Tanner, great job with your creations!!! :+1::+1:

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options

tanner,
    may i ask where i can order and print the holographic black cards?

thanks!
    j

• Options

Hey guys! Sorry I didn't respond earlier - I don't get notifications from the site apparently. Anyway, yeah this was actually in Texas, so a looooong ways from CA :)

JasonJames1979, I made these myself, so I don't have any leads of printers that do this sort of thing. Surely they are out there, but I'm not sure just yet. I don't have any pointers on going forward, but one of these days, I may spill the beans and put out a tutorial :)