Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Registry points/weights question

I am pretty new to registry and this is probably discussed here already, but couldnt find much on my question. So here goes pertaining to
Mercury dimes;
How is possible that my recent purchase of a 1945 P ms66+ for $56.00 has 266 points? And my 1916 d vg10 has only 100, when it is clearly worth many multiples more? I understand the math, but how and where do the weight numbers come from and how is dollar value not a factor?

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

Comments

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is my opinion that the PCGS registry is set up to encourage participation rather than to strictly reward financial resources. Therefore, more common coins in more common grades that cost less are oftentimes weighted as much or even more heavily than less common coins in more valuable grades. It might not be fair in terms of points-to-value, but the PCGS registry is not designed to strictly reward points for value. It exists to encourage participation, to drive the success of the PCGS brand and to make certain that coins that might otherwise never see the inside of a TPG slab are sent in so that they may be incorporated into sets and, more importantly, so that they may drive revenue to PCGS.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 978 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am thankful that the points are not based solely on a value. Not everybody has Jerry Forsythe money.
    I guess I just don't understand how the point value is determined.
    Usually mintage and condition determine rarities and value is determined my demand and availability. Which makes me think that point values would follow from that.
    Alot of the coins in my sets follow that logic. Some like the 1945P without bands just seem way out of whack.

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

• renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

It seems there have been several revisions in composite points recently, at least in the gold arena. I dunno why.

• DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭

single finest known, even if a common date, get two extra points that factor into the multiplication of the set points. Thus, a 66+ if finest, gets credit as 68+.

Dr. Pete