New to collecting- How to use currency sleeve

Hello, I have come across an old collection of banknotes from the 1930's and 1940's from my grandfather. They were simply in a lettter-envelope. I want to preserve them in currency sleeves. I ordered some currency sleeves from air-tites.com. The sleeves are open on 2 sides, with a sharp fold on the top. They gave me no instructions on how to use the sleeves. Am I supposed to seal the ends of the sleeves somehow? Or do I just slide the banknotes in and it will provide protection. My goal is long-term storage. Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

  • JamericonJamericon Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

    Open the holder by flipping over the top tab (the "sharp fold on the top.") Face the note so the tab will close over the back, and firmly seat the note in the bottom crease, centered left to right. (It's best if you hold the holder in one hand like you would a taco that you'd be stuffing.) Flip the top tab over to close the top. Don't seal the ends--your notes won't fall out.

    Be gentle handling your notes; they can take some handling and pressure from your fingers. Be loose and not nervous; otherwise you may make stiff, jerking movements and bend your notes.

    Before you do anything, wash and dry your hands!

    Jamie Yakes--U.S. paper money collector, researcher and author. | Join the SPMC.
  • TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭
    edited February 15, 2017 10:03PM

    Welcome to the forum! Post some pictures once you get your notes in their holders.

    If you have pets running around, keep them corralled while you work with your notes. Recently I was organizing a few items to take to the bank safe box and had two kittens running around. One of them was really interested in what I was doing and thought it would try to eat a holdered note. Yikes!!!!

  • ...and my grand daughter spilled some of her yogurt all over a semi scarce fractional note of mine...we learn the hard way!

  • @Jamericon said:
    Open the holder by flipping over the top tab (the "sharp fold on the top.") Face the note so the tab will close over the back, and firmly seat the note in the bottom crease, centered left to right. (It's best if you hold the holder in one hand like you would a taco that you'd be stuffing.) Flip the top tab over to close the top. Don't seal the ends--your notes won't fall out.

    Be gentle handling your notes; they can take some handling and pressure from your fingers. Be loose and not nervous; otherwise you may make stiff, jerking movements and bend your notes.

    Before you do anything, wash and dry your hands!

    Thanks so much for your instructions! It seems very simple now that you explained it, but better safe than sorry. I really appreciate the help and advice!

  • @Tookybandit said:
    Welcome to the forum! Post some pictures once you get your notes in their holders.

    If you have pets running around, keep them corralled while you work with your notes. Recently I was organizing a few items to take to the bank safe box and had two kittens running around. One of them was really interested in what I was doing and thought it would try to eat a holdered note. Yikes!!!!

    Thank you! Yes that is a great idea. I will post some pics soon. I have quite a few cats too, I keep my notes in a secluded room. Haha, kittens will be kittens! Hope the note is okay!

  • @tomtomtomtom said:
    ...and my grand daughter spilled some of her yogurt all over a semi scarce fractional note of mine...we learn the hard way!

    Wow! Sorry to hear that. Was it able to be somewhat cleaned at least?

Sign In or Register to comment.