Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Canadian cents taller than US cents?

I have a sack of $20 face of 1959 uncirculated cents and I decided to look through them and put them in some coin tubes. I discovered that trying to put 50 of them in a US cent tube won't allow the lid to close.

Is it just the height of the rim making them taller? 50 circulated canadian cents fit in the tube fine , I'm thinking that raised rim wears down pretty fast in circulation.

Comments

• ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

The old, bronze Canadian cents were heavier and slightly larger than the US cents from the same period. Check Charlton for the stats.

• 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭

3.24 grams
    19.05 mm
    thickness not mentioned
    however UNCs are known to have a bit of a raised wire edge which could account for the height issue

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tried to measure with a caliper and the unc penny appears to be .065 of an inch while the 60's era circ I measured was .063 of an inch , in a stack of 50 coins that is about .1 inch lost from rim wear. Meanwhile the circulated 60's era copper US cent appears to measure .06 inch thick so a stack of the unc 1959 cents could be 1/4 inch taller

1959 Canada cent weighs 3.24 grams per Charlton, the 1959 US cent is 3.11 grams per Red Book, so you can't expect to fit 50 uncirculated CA cents into tubes designed for US cents.

@Elmhurst said:
    1959 Canada cent weighs 3.24 grams per Charlton, the 1959 US cent is 3.11 grams per Red Book, so you can't expect to fit 50 uncirculated CA cents into tubes designed for US cents.

Do they make a special tube for the canadian cent?

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Indeed, I save older Canadian cents minted before 1978 when they started making them slightly smaller. When you roll them they do take up more of the roll. It is the opposite with the five cent - 25 cent coins though.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21

I buy all the old Canada cents and nickels I can get from my local dealer here, I leave them in the paper rolls. I'm in the US, but just down the road from Vancouver.

• DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2018 12:34AM

Canada is farther north of the Equator, so gravity is ever so slightly less up in that neck of the woods. So the coins are not as "compressed" as those minted in the U.S., thus stacking a bit taller than their USA counterparts. No charge for that scientific tidbit! ;):D

HOWEVER............... beginning in 2013, US cents stack WAY taller than those from Canada! ;)

• mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    Do they make a special tube for the canadian cent?

I think they make a special tube that holds 49 Canadian cents... ;)

• sarikanairsarikanair Posts: 154 ✭✭✭

Yes, there is definitely a difference in size and weight between Canadian and American Cents of the same time period. Older bronze versions of Canadian cents are heavier.

whoa dead thread resurrected . I still have that sack of unc cents to look through , thanks for reminding me , I will probably put it off for another year though :(

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2018 9:09AM

Bronco, how well mixed is your stack?
    there are very few dates that are of serious interest. (1922, 1923, 1924, 1925, 1955 NSF and a very few others). MS 64 and better are always sort of ok.
    Last year I purchased 2 huge Canadian Rye bottles full to the brim with Canadian pennies. Sold them to a retired teacher who checked each individul coin for dates , Grades, varieties and errors. He ended up with 109 possible sellable pennies.
    6 of these brought over $ 30 each, one came in at 78 and about a dozen came in a few bucks each.
    Then he topped the bottles with some of his pennies and sold both at a large fleamarket for $ 150 together.
    He originally paid me $ 80 each. I say he did well!
    The image is of the 2 bottles. We estimated there were about 3000 in each bottle but can not remember for shure.

Cheers.... :)

Today is the first day of the rest of my life

its a canvas sack of all 1959 uncs I think its over $20 face . I bought it at a we buy gold shop he charged me copper spot for them so I'm in at about 2 cents each I'd say .

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Canadians can be thick.

• DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭

YQQ: Fess up! Which was more fun? Saving/flipping the cents?............. Or first draining the 2 bottles of CC? ;):D

I'd say the latter - - unless you're a dealer driven to drink by customers like those described in the Forum's "why dealers drink" threads!! :o;)