Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

spoon collector?

does anyone consider themselves a spoon collector? i got into spoons after coins, i like the histery ,mystery. i'm just looking for some knowledge... and help dating a piece i purchased.

Comments

• HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

Post a picture.

• sylsyl Posts: 889 ✭✭✭

I used to collect American coin silver spoons from about 1800-1850, but got out of them about 10 years ago. I have a few reference books I think laying around somewhere. What do you need help with. Please include ANY marks that may be there.

• steviegetzsteviegetz Posts: 51 ✭✭✭

it's solid silver, the brooch seems to have been put on at a much later date, 1920s/30s style i believe?, the bowl and stem are two separate pieces, the stem was slightly knotched on the top and a triangle point on the bottom. it's well made. no markings although it seems it may have had a tiny inscription or date on the side edge of the stem at one time but has well worn off.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting piece. :)

• HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

Possibly a souvenir from Egypt.

i'll have to dig some more. i thought two piece spoons were pre 1800 and hallmarks were always used for the last few centuries. but dont know what regulations were like in egypt . i've seen roman spoons attached the same way with the same shape stem but that's out of the question i'm sure

jus shows how long the same techniques have been around fairly unchanged

• sylsyl Posts: 889 ✭✭✭

Your spoon is probably part of the early Egyptian Revival period from the late 18th century until the 1820's. They were still using the 2-piece construction methods into the early 19th century. There was also a huge return of Egyptian Revival with Tut's Tomb later in the 19th century and into the 20th. I think the workmanship on the spoon itself (not the clasp) shows it was manufactured rather than handmade from mold or casting. That shape of bowl was popular in the late 18th century. I'd guess an old Egyptian souvenir.

thankyou, very helpful:) so probably made during napoleons campaign in egypt. possibly of french origin?