Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Goldbergs Auction Angst

harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 13, 2017 5:47PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Back at the New York sale, I won two lots. I paid for them, cash, at the NYINC on the following Friday and took possession.
I since have received two dunning invoices. When I call them to tell them I paid cash and was given possession, the attitude from their office is as if I was trying to con them. I now have sent an email to their Chief Operating Officer who actually was involved personally with the transaction. Hopefully, he remembers.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD

Comments

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

They didn't give you a receipt for the cash?

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

I could have sworn every auction terms has boiled down to 'pay and then we give you your stuff'. BUT I just read the Goldberg fine print (on sixbid) and it does indicate what boils down to 'if we give it to you before you pay, you have to pay'...so perhaps they do have a history of releasing wins before payment?

Unless you were a big time customer it would boggle my mind they would give up merchandise without payment in full...and the mere fact you have the items means you paid.

But they seem to be vague on their terms and it sounds kind of sketchy of them to take cash and not give a receipt. Or, to give merchandise without a signature of acceptance. I would be very leery of a person taking my cash and not giving me a receipt, and by person I would mean auction house too.

I hope this is easily resolved! I would think that at the very end it will not be you have to prove you paid, but they have to prove you didn't considering they handed you the merchandise.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

Surely, you kept your receipt.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 13, 2017 5:48PM

Well, just now (7:33 PM EDST), I received an email from the Chief Operating Officer. He says he will take care of it. It appears that he is as considerate after sale as he was during the sale. Thank you, sir!

Meanwhile, I was closely examining the SixBid website, in light of Stork's comments. I think she was referring to Clause 14. That being said, I also reviewed Section 5 of The New York Sale's Conditions of Sale. As per 5.2, the Conditions of Sale unequivocally state, "Buyer of a Lot shall pay the Purchase Price in full before the Lot can be delivered to the Buyer."

Responding to Pruebas and TomB. I was given a copy of the invoice. It was only after I received the first demand letter that I examined it closely. Sure enough, it did not say anything about receipt of cash. So, I thought I had a receipt, but it turns out I did not.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

@harasha said:

Responding to Pruebas and TomB. I was given a copy of the invoice. It was only after I received the first demand letter that I examined it closely. Sure enough, it did not say anything about receipt of cash. So, I thought I had a receipt, but it turns out I did not.

You know, I've done that many times. Just put the receipt in my bag without looking at it. Especially when getting new beauties for my collection!

Glenn is a first-class person. He will make things right. I'm sure of it.

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad to hear it will be resolved and it serves as a good reminder to always ask for and verify ones receipt.

I sometimes frequent local coin shows in my area and have dealt with a couple of dealers who, by their reaction, you'd think that I had just asked them for their first born child when requesting a receipt. This has happened to me several times, twice it was for bullion sales and once for a coin purchase. It seems they are in too much of a rush to move on to the next sale, but without a receipt I'd be left unprotected, so I insist on one.

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

@harasha said:
    Well, just now (7:33 PM EDST), I received an email from the Chief Operating Officer. He says he will take care of it. It appears that he is as considerate after sale as he was during the sale. Thank you, sir!

Meanwhile, I was closely examining the SixBid website, in light of Stork's comments. I think she was referring to Clause 14. That being said, I also reviewed Section 5 of The New York Sale's Conditions of Sale. As per 5.2, the Conditions of Sale unequivocally state, "Buyer of a Lot shall pay the Purchase Price in full before the Lot can be delivered to the Buyer."

Yep, I was looking at Clause 14. What the other part (section 5) you quote is what I would expect. I mean, how could they give you the lots without payment?

And, I agree with the part about the receipt part--easy mistake and have done it.

Glad to hear it's getting taken care of--really did expect that, but good to get it confirmed.