Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Will packs such as these fuel a future unopened craze?

I was checking out this auction and was thinking $30 isn't bad for a chance to pull a Brady RC that goes for $500 in PSA 9
I would leave these unopened and hope they go for $50 each someday.
Is anyone out there snapping up packs such as these hoping they rise in value?

ebay.com/itm/2000-PROS-PROSPECTS-TOM-BRADY-RC-SEALED-4-PACK-LOT/361902873134?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D41376%26meid%3Dff01df43a70a4e6ba9dae8cf118be6d5%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D361902323875

Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"

Comments

• Options

Those can be re-sealed but are likely finger fced looking for hits.

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the availability of factory sealed boxes will keep modern pack prices from going crazy.

Mike
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Modern boxes are too predictable on hit locations. After opening a couple boxes of a given product, you'll typically notice a pattern (i.e. two refractors/SPs/Inserts per box are always in the same pack locations), so I personally wouldn't be interested in loose packs without a significant discount off of pro-rated box prices.

• Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:
    Modern boxes are too predictable on hit locations. After opening a couple boxes of a given product, you'll typically notice a pattern (i.e. two refractors/SPs/Inserts per box are always in the same pack locations), so I personally wouldn't be interested in loose packs without a significant discount off of pro-rated box prices.

I would argue that the same can be stated for vintage unopened. There are board members who can look at a vintage rack or cello and make a safe guess whether there is a good card inside .

All I am saying is a few years from now, one of these packs in a 9 or 10 holder should bring decent money because of the lure of the Brady RC. People will want a pack for their collection that might contain a popular Tom Brady RC. How much will a PSA 9 2000 Pros and Prospects Tom Brady be worth 5 years from now? Probably a lot more than now.

Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

And like vintage unopened, the real premium will be on sealed boxes/FASC and cases. Too many shenanigans with loose packs.

Boxes have risen pretty significantly, sub-$100 in early Dec to $280ish recently. It wouldn't surprise me to see at least a moderate drop on these once the latest SB win is further in the rearview.