Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Help me pick a coin show

Yes, I know I'm a barbarian, but I've never been to a coin show. We don't have any where I live (Israel), and they all require a fair bit of travel for me to get to. Furthermore, my wife's health is poor we have 3 children, so I'm needed around the house, and I couldn't travel much in the last few years. However, things are just a tad better so I think I could go away for a few days sometime in the coming year.

I'd like to pick ONE great coin show, anywhere in the world, to travel to. Could be in the U.S. or Europe.

My own personal numismatic tastes are rather esoteric. My two main collecting fields are Israel coins, and foreign (non-U.S.) error coins, and of course the best for me is where the two fields intersect: Israeli error coins. I don't expect to find a lot of that, if at all, so that's not really a requirement (although it would be nice). I'm also not looking to sell anything. I do want to see a wide range of material, especially non-U.S., to learn something from the show (maybe a grading seminar?), and to have fun in the process.

So what would be the best show for me? NYC International? FUN? Long Beach? Berlin, Germany? Something else I haven't thought about? Let's hear your ideas.

Comments

• EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

FUN Long Beach
    (the above two are mainly for US material)

NYI is a great show for collectors of non-US material, and you obviously know English so there is no language problem. Starting 2018, that show will be hosted at the Grand Hyatt hotel, which is connected to Grand Central Terminal so you have access to stores (but probably expensive) and a big and varied food court. And, you will have easy access to NYC-area rail systems.

I have no experience with the Berlin show, but I have heard it was very good. I don't speak German, but I've been assured that will not be a problem.

There is a new show in Chicago that focuses on non-US material. It is in April and replaces the CICF show that was in Rosemont (a suburb of Chicago). You may want to consider that an option for 2018. (The 2017 show will be its first year.)

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 13, 2017 6:41AM

For a self serving reason to be able to meet again, I would say NYINC.... which is a great venue that offers something for everyone.
    However, given where you are located and the duration of the flights etc Berlin sounds like a no-brainer and a great show.
    Forget the other shows as a priority.

Agree with EVP then. If you can pull off both, even better!

• EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zohar said:
    For a self serving reason to be able to meet again, I would say NYINC....

Run, Forrest, run!

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• desslokdesslok Posts: 310 ✭✭✭

Well, I guess NYC it is... Hopefully I can make it next year.

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

My collecting interests are such that I find very little on the floor of even the biggest of US shows. But I often find items of interest in the auctions.

The thing is, these days, one doesn't need to attend a show to bid at auction. To preview the coins, yes, but to bid, no.

I would say attend the show where you have the best chance of finding material of interest to YOU.

I'd rather attend a small show where I find something than a big show that's a dud.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

In making travel plans, one might consider other benefits associated with the coin show destination. London might be nice because of everything else that is there such as the British Museum...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.