Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

RE: Labeling of Fantasy Strike Coins - Food for thought

I posted a thread here on these boards a bit over a year ago, largely because I was astounded that a readily available and PCGS graded fantasy "1879 Victoria Crown" had sold on eBay for around $650. At the time, I was suggesting that maybe PCGS could be more forthcoming with their slab labels for fantasy coins like this, as someone clearly thought they were bidding on something more special than it really was.

Well, in the past month, I sent in a handful of my pieces for slabbing before my $150 credit for NGC membership expired. Below was the nicest / highest graded of the bunch. I thought some of you may wish to see what the current labeling of these looks like from NGC. They are very clear that they are fantasy issues -- contrary to the way that PCGS labels these. Think I can sell her for $650? :wink: Just kidding, she's not for sale. :+1:

Here is the photo of the slab from the NGC cert look-up page:

-Brandon
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Comments

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a set to send in too (with the Wyon St. George reverse) and would rather the informative label too. I like them but they are exonumia to me. Which is fine, but better to be clear about it. Not that the PCGS slab isn't clear as it includes the X#, but the other one is MORE clear. Nice patterns you have there btw!

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't understand why PC did not grade my gold version of Cathy's when I submitted it last year??
    But I agree with BRG in that it is a bit unclear from the label....

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2017 12:15AM

I do like that PCGS put the "1879" in quotation marks. The addition of the word "fantasy" on the label would've better, like NGC did it, though they too should've put the date in quotes like PCGS did.

I think these things have probably tripped up or confused more than a few collectors in the last decade or so since they were produced. That being said, they're neat looking, had low mintages, are listed in the Krause "Unusual" volume (hence the X-numbers), and do have some collectibility in their own right.

I used to have a 1901 "Irish" Victoria fantasy "halfcrown" with a neat harp design. As fantasy issues go, these are pretty classy.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2017 12:35AM

Here's the cert for PCGS 80128186.

I agree it's better to have more description of the fantasy nature of these pieces. It never feels good to find out you've just paid more tuition.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree that the NGC holder leaves less to the imagination, but think a combination of the date in quotation marks along with "Fantasy Issue" written as the first line under the date would really clear things up quite a bit.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson