Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The N8 Collection - Boxing Cards

dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭

After some time away from the hobby, I'm ready to start anew but want to go in a different direction. I've always been a fan of boxing and particularly find the 1948 leaf set attractive so I'm going to start a collection of boxing cards. I'll post my pick-ups here in the original thread as they come in. I look forward to seeing your pick-ups, sharing information and making some new friends!
-Nate

1908 Ogden's Pugilists & Wrestlers No. 38 Jim Driscoll [RAW]
photo UNG-1908_OGDENS_LTD_PUGILISTSampWRESTLERS_38_JIM_DRISCOLL-FR-SM.jpg

1929 Godfrey Phillips Sporting Champions No. 5 Primo Carnera [PSA 7]
photo PSA-1929_GODFREY_PHILLIPS_SPORTING_CHAMPIONS_5_PRIMO_CARNERA-NM7-FR-SM-19892937.jpg

1938 Cartledge Razor Famous Prize Fighters No. 28 Henry Armstrong [SGC 8.5]
photo SGC-1938_CARTLEDGE_RAZOR_FAMOUS_PRIZE_FIGHTERS_28_HENRY_ARMSTRONG-NM-MT8_5-FR-SM-1261903-011.jpg

1948 Leaf No. 25 Abe Attell [RAW]
photo UNG-1948_LEAF_25_ABE_ATTELL-FR-SM.jpg

1948 Leaf No. 50 Rocky Graziano, Custom Reprint [RAW]
photo UNG-1948_LEAF_50_ROCKY_GRAZIANO_CUSTOM_REPRINT-FR-SM.jpg

1951 Topps Ringside No. 32 Rocky Marciano [PSA 3]
photo PSA-1951_TOPPS_RINGSIDE_32_ROCKY_MARCIANO-VG3-FR-SM-21141413.jpg

1958 Heinerle No. NNO Ingmar Johansson [PSA 2]
photo PSA-1958_HEINERLE_NNO_INGMAR_JOHANSSON-GD2-FR-SM-20066922.jpg

1966 Panini Campioni Dello Sport No. 391 Sonny Liston [PSA 8]
photo PSA-1966_PANINI_CAMPIONI_DELLO_SPORT_391_SONNY_LISTON-NM-MT8-FR-SM-18778835.jpg

1991 Kayo No. 116 Roy Jones Jr. [RAW]
photo UNG-1991_KAYO_116_ROY_JONES_JR-FR-SM.jpg

1991 Players International Ringlords No. 10 Lennox Lewis [PSA 10]
photo PSA-1991_PLAYERS_INTER_10_LENNOX_LEWIS_RINGLORDS-MT10-FR-SM.jpg

1992 Impel Olympicards No. 23 Oscar De La Hoya [PSA 10]
photo PSA-1992_IMPEL_OLYMPICARDS_23_OSCAR_DE_LA_HOYA_BOXING-MT10-FR-SM.jpg

1996 Ringside No. 49 Marco Antonio Barrera [RAW]
photo UNG-1996_RINGSIDE_49_MARCO_ANTONIO_BARRERA-FR-SM.jpg

1998 World Boxing Magazine No. 120 Khaosai Galaxy [PSA10]
photo PSA-1998_WORLD_BOXING_MAGAZINE_120_KHAOSAI_GALAXY_HAND_CUT-MT10-FR-SM-27066023.jpg

1999 World Boxing Magazine No. 143 Manny Pacquiao [PSA10]
photo PSA-1999_WORLD_BOXING_MAGAZINE_143_MANNY_PACQUIAO_HAND_CUT-MT10-FR-SM-27066022.jpg

2002 A Question of Sport UK No. NNO Joe Calzaghe [RAW]
photo UNG-2002_A_QUESTION_OF_SPORT_UK_NNO_JOE_CALZAGHE-FR-SM.jpg

2016 Topps Allen & Ginter No. 119 Gennady Golovkin [PSA 10]
photo PSA-2016_TOPPS_A_G_119_GENNADY_GOLOVKIN-MT10-FR-LG-41988816.jpg

The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back!

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dytch2220 said:
    After some time away from the hobby, I'm ready to start anew but want to go in a different direction. I've always been a fan of boxing and particularly find the 1948 leaf set attractive so I'm going to start a collection of boxing cards. I'm hoping to hook up with (not in that way, guy) some fellow enthusiasts. I'm looking for resources with checklists and set info that are fairly exhaustive, such as books or websites. Thanks!

One great source to look at for checklists where I would recommend starting is the set registries:

psacard.com/psasetregistry/misc-sports/player-sets/46

psacard.com/psasetregistry/misc-sports/company-sets/44

Also, Warshaw's book, America's Great Boxing Cards, is a great resource. However, my interest includes a ton of foreign material that is not covered in that book. It is excellent for domestic product though.

americasgreatboxingcards.com/

• Options

Thanks Greg.

• Options

Welcome back! I will be following this thread. As a 1951 Ringside collector, I always liked the 1948 Leaf. By the time I really started to learn more about Leaf, I was so deep into collecting Ringside I had to stay on course. I hope you post some of your pickups.

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options

I love vintage boxing, I'm about 55-60% compete on my 48 Leaf set in PSA 5 or better. If or when I finish Ringside will be next on my list. Good luck on the new collection!

My new website www.lowgradegems.com

Tim
  • Options

@Largentcollector said:
    I love vintage boxing, I'm about 55-60% compete on my 48 Leaf set in PSA 5 or better. If or when I finish Ringside will be next on my list. Good luck on the new collection!

Similarly, not concerned with high grade. Mostly centering the priority, PSA 5 or so look pretty good to me when centered well from the examples I've seen.

• Options

@SpinFadeSplash23 said:
    Welcome back! I will be following this thread. As a 1951 Ringside collector, I always liked the 1948 Leaf. By the time I really started to learn more about Leaf, I was so deep into collecting Ringside I had to stay on course. I hope you post some of your pickups.

I will definitely post my pick-ups here in the thread. Glad to be back!

• Options

First pick-up, 1948 Leaf Boxing No. 25 - Abe Attell. I added the image to the original post. Image from eBay listing.

• Options

Is that card raw or in a slab, I do suggest you collect the set in PSA 7 or better and leave the Ex cards to me ;) .

@dytch2220 said:
    First pick-up, 1948 Leaf Boxing No. 25 - Abe Attell. I added the image to the original post. Image from eBay listing.

Tim
  • Options

@Largentcollector said:
    Is that card raw or in a slab, I do suggest you collect the set in PSA 7 or better and leave the Ex cards to me ;) .

@dytch2220 said:

HAH! I'll do my best to stay out of your way... It is a raw card, sold in Probstein123 auction.

• Options

Are you going to be working on both white and grey sets? Or just a mix? Great looking card BTW.

Tim
  • Options

@Largentcollector said:
    Are you going to be working on both white and grey sets? Or just a mix? Great looking card BTW.

Thanks. I think I'll probably end up going with either both or the white since it's the earliest. And I guess I need a second job to save for Graziano.

• Options

I'm extremely satisfied with my performance hand-cutting these cards. P. S. the Dahle cutter is a beast, reference the curled strip of paper in the image which is the remnant of a minor trim needed at the top of the Galaxy card. I've been waiting for years to get a nice copy of the Pac rookie and the Galaxy fell in my lap the same day. Soon to be graded and fill two spots in my ALL-TIME TOP 100 BOXERS (1886-2001) set. Wh00t!

photo 20170224_2343572.jpg

• Options

These two are off to PSA, see them again in 10 business days or so...

• Options

Woohoo! "Available for Pickup, NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92660, February 28, 2017 11:51 am"

• Options

A few nice 48 Leafs ended last night. Did you buy anything? I bid on the PSA 8 Jack Johnson and lost out.

Joe

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options

@SpinFadeSplash23 said:
    A few nice 48 Leafs ended last night. Did you buy anything? I bid on the PSA 8 Jack Johnson and lost out.

No, I've spent my budget for the moment. Need to rebuild my cash inventory. :(

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Question for the Leaf and Ringside collectors: Which do you prefer and why?

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    SpinFadeSplash23SpinFadeSplash23 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭
    edited March 1, 2017 4:09PM

I prefer the Ringside for a few reasons.

1) There is an emotional connection there with my grandfather. He and I were looking at a 1951 Ringside card on my phone talking about him fighting Jimmy Flood in the school yard as a kid, shortly before he passed.

2) I believe 1951 was the first year Topps produced baseball as well, so the 1951 boxing set is historical in nature. Times have changed with regard to the public feeling about boxing and where it stands in the world of sports & entertainment. Boxing was much more part of the cultural fabric back in the day.

3) I enjoy the art and design of the cards more than the 1948 set. They just feel more lively and elegant. Something about the Leaf cards is very crude and simple.

That said, the 1948 Leaf is a great set that I will start collecting after I'm done with this one. The Jack Johnson alone is enough to convince me - I love that card!

Joe

• Options
    SpinFadeSplash23SpinFadeSplash23 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

That being said, I have 12 more cards to go before my Ringside set is complete (but not finished). I am excited to get these last few cards. I started on a 1986 Fleer PSA 10 set and bailed halfway. Glad I saw this one through.

Joe

• Options

Spin, thanks for the reply. I was leaning toward the Ringside also.

Great story about your Grandfather, I can picture it vividly.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

I bought the Graziano I can afford for the moment, a custom reprint made by alifaxwa2. On original post. :)

• Options

Jackpot!
    photo mysub0320.jpg

• Options

@Cakes said:
    Question for the Leaf and Ringside collectors: Which do you prefer and why?

I realized I never replied to this. I don't have a good story like spin. I just like the leaf aesthetically. From the square-ish shape to the Andy Warhol-esque coloring. They just stand out visually to me. It's more of liking the set than the faithful reproduction of each player's image. Ringside will probably be better for that.

• Options

ditch, thanks for the response and congrats on those grades!!

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dytch2220 said:
    Jackpot!
    photo mysub0320.jpg

That Manny looked perfect! Nice work!

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dytch2220 said:
    Jackpot!
    photo mysub0320.jpg

WOW, Congratulations!!!

• Options

Thanks guys, I couldn't be happier. :D

• Options
    edited March 23, 2017 11:05PM

Scans on original post!

• Options

Great cards. Those 2 PSA 10s are out of this world.

Joe

• Options

@SpinFadeSplash23 said:
    Great cards. Those 2 PSA 10s are out of this world.

Thanks Spin.

• Options
    edited January 5, 2019 3:14PM

It's been a while since I've updated this thread. Images added to the original post for the following pick-ups:

++
    1929 Godfrey Phillips Sporting Champions No. 5 Primo Carnera [PSA 7]
    1938 Cartledge Razor Famous Prize Fighters No. 28 Henry Armstrong [SGC 8.5]
    1951 Topps Ringside No. 32 Rocky Marciano [PSA 3]
    1958 Heinerle No. NNO Ingmar Johansson [PSA 2]
    1966 Panini Campioni Dello Sport No. 391 Sonny Liston [PSA 8]
    1991 Players International Ringlords No. 10 Lennox Lewis [PSA 10]
    1992 Impel Olympicards No. 23 Oscar De La Hoya [PSA 10]
    2016 Topps Allen & Ginter No. 119 Gennady Golovkin [PSA 10]

• Options
    SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Very cool. I love the Japanese stuff! Good luck on future pick ups!

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pickups! Henry Armstrong is underrated. That Liston is sweet.

Arthur