Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

ANA Diploma Program

KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys!
I was just wondering if any of you are in the ANA Diploma program? I am, and have finished some of the courses.

For information about the program, go to money.org.

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

I took and completed the program, which is essentially a correspondence course, back in 2002 or so. It was informative, helpful, and interesting, it was a great start. However it is just that, a great start. It gives you a very good foundation, but there's plenty of work to do afterwards and the learning will continue for years.

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

I completely agree with the above post.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are a serious numismatist you never stop learning.

• Options
    AblinkyAblinky Posts: 625 ✭✭✭
    edited February 8, 2017 7:49AM

I never bothered with the Diploma program when I started in my early teen years. I just went to Summer Seminar, it's an incomparable learning experience and an absolute must for any aspiring collector.

Andrew Blinkiewicz-Heritage

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can someone provide a link directly to the Diploma program? I took a quick look and didn't see it.

Is it a Masters or PhD diploma? The new research a PhD program could drive with dissertations seems like it would have a lot of potential.

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 8, 2017 11:14AM

Two of the components of the Diploma program deal with grading. However, grading is a use-it-or-lose-it skill. If you don't make a serious effort to view lots of coins in hand every year after you finish those courses, what you learned will slowly go bye-bye.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

The "diploma" program at the ANA was an excellent program around the turn of the millennium. Sadly, the ANA was never allowed the resources to update the program and the correspondence courses are outdated and lack the ability to access online.

The "diploma" is the culmination of completing a series of correspondence courses. It's not a "diploma" in the sense of an educational degree, just as the ANA's "Doctor of Numismatics" is not a degree, but an honor bestowed by the organization.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

I completed it as an experienced numismatist with other members of my local coin club. I still learned many things outside my main areas of interest and had a blast sharing the experience with the other club members. I agree that the courses need an upgrade but DO NOT let that dissuade you from taking the courses. You will be a better numismatist for the effort.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file