Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Roman coin hoard found in Spain

Here's an article on a Roman coin hoard (1,300 pounds in weight) found by construction workers in Spain. The article is "sponsored" so there are a bunch of ads around the margins, but the article's got a fair amount of fun pix, and a decent amount of information on the hoard.

scribol.com/a/anthropology-and-history/archaelogy/construction-workers-dug-trench-spain-discovered-trove-priceless-roman-treasure/?utm_source=Yahoo_Gemini&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=Spain_Roman_Treasure_US_Desktop_INV_D&utm_content=ak0n.pYGBTvCuwg--

Comments

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hate sites that make you click like that. Thanks for the link though.

Coins were the usual common stuff :(

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah, site blocked by my school.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 7, 2017 9:24PM

Many of the photos were originally posted to this site in April 2016:
    elpais.com/elpais/2016/04/28/album/1461842532_524900.html#1461842532_524900_1461842838
    Apparently the exhibit is up at the Seville museum now until September.

The largest coin image is Constantius (I?), and the article lists coins of "Constantine and Maximian",
    so the period appears to be 305 - 337 AD.
    The scribol.com article speculates (poorly?) about the value and why the coins were stored together (to pay taxes?).
    I'm not sure what was going on in Spain at that time, but it was pretty far from Constantinople,
    so my guess would be the coins were originally to pay Roman soldiers, but the soldiers got chased off
    and the coins were then hidden.

Edit to add: Roman strength in Spain was in decline by 383 or so, and Seville was definitely taken by the Vandals in 416.

• Options
    ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

Get an ad blocker for your browser. Looks fine with one. That is quite a find.

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

• Options

That's a wonderful find! When they mentioned Constantine, I was thinking smaller bronzes, but these look like good-sized folles. I think I can even see a post-abdication issue of Maximian among the group shots! Perhaps with the loss of the Italian mints to the usurpation of Maxentius in 306, coinage in the provinces remaining under Tetrarchic rule needed to be supplemented with shipments from the East.

"Render therfore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's." Matthew 22: 21