Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Picked Up Some Nice Newfoundland Silver and 0.925 Canadian Silver At Melt

TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

A few days ago I was in the back room of one of the local coin shops when a customer came in and the owner had to go upfront into the lobby. I've known the owner for years and he told me to poke through anything I liked while he was gone, so I went up to a shelf that had small boxes lined up with various country names on them. Each box had silver coins in it that were picked out of bulk silver deals if the date was better or the coin nicer than average. I picked up the Newfoundland and Canadian box for 0.925 as well as 0.800 fine silver and went through the coins.

When the owner came back I asked him what he was going to do with all the coins and he told me he wasn't certain, but they were too nice to be dropped into bulk bullion deals so he had been putting them aside for years. He then told me that I could pick out what I wanted or needed for clients and would charge me melt. I ended up getting eleven 0.800 original skin George VI half dollars (generally from 1941-1946) along with nine five-cent pieces, ten dimes and a pair of quarters. If I recall correctly, five of the 21 smaller denomination coins were from Newfoundland.

I went home, dropped the coins onto a small, leather book over a piece of cloth and took a few photos in the weak afternoon light. This is pretty much how they fell onto the book. I like tucking away these coins from time-to-time as a play on silver instead of buying modern bullion pieces.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

Comments

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thats a nice group, and a great score for melt!

• Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

A nice group of coins there.

Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice, especially the Newfies.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't really go wrong at melt - especially the low mintage Newfoundland!

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

Newfies are great...
    please check the 1894 10 C,

may you get lucky and find the 4th obv 2 ??? :D
    only 2 +1 known in obv 2. I know the books says 2.. but seriously, this one I do know better

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the tip on the 1894 NFLD; I'll take a look sometime in the future. I like putting away coins like these.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    aj2525raj2525r Posts: 120 ✭✭

Very nice

I still call my accumulation my collection!
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭

Nice score!

I have to hang out at coin shops more often for such opportunities.

Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a bonanza of nice, natural coins! I do the exact same thing when I see boxes of old silver coins offered at bullion. I'm just getting into Canadian and Newfie Silver now as well. The problem is I don't have that relationship with the local dealers and it's highly unlikely one is gonna develop in the future.

What you're doing is what "coin guys" will do to SAVE these old, natural coins from the melting pot. They're not a "play on silver" as much as a love for older, naturally toned coins. Stash them away for a rainy day...Gotta get a bigger safe.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations !!! 👍

Timbuk3
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well Tom
    it looks like you made a very healthy profit already on that lot... good for you. :)

Today is the first day of the rest of my life