Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

OT: help with Arabic?

Found this panel many years ago. Writing on both sides. Any idea of what it is and what it says?

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, but would also love to find out.

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nor do I, but the handwriting is beautifully precise, in all seriousness.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

Weiss,

If I recall correctly your rental business operates in a college town, or in close proximity, I'd bet they have a language department there that would be more than willing to translate this for you. I bet, even just dropping in, casually without an appointment, they would be accommodating.

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a bad idea, @JohnnyCache But that would require getting up from my desk :D

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a flat board, probably pine. Maybe 24 inches tall by 10 inches wide. Someone seems to have taken a long time smoothing, shaping, and sanding it. But the writing appears to be in felt marker, like a sharpie. Reminds me of the way the 10 commandments are usually depicted.

--Severian the Lame
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are many Arabic speaking students at the school where I teach. I'll ask one of them Monday if they can read it.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a religious text. Still working on what exactly it says. Haven't had a chance for a student to look at it closely.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don