Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Stamp or Fountain Pen

airjoedanairjoedan Posts: 776 ✭✭✭

This came from a large vintage cut autograph lot in which all autographs were glued in the album. There were a lot of very nice tough pencil, felt, and fountain pen autographs. These 3 looked like they were likely stamps to me - although, this was an ALL 1940's collection and all were in a 1940's scrapbook, so they would have to be 1940's stamps. Ever heard of players doing this back then?

All 3 of these would be really great autographs to have but I'm thinking they look like they are stamps. I wanted to get a few additional opinions before trashing the Southworth especially.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2017 6:03AM
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

Swift using a stamp? I cant imagine he had enough requests, and passing in 66

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭

yep, looks like a stamp to me as well.....

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

@RipublicaninMass said:
    Swift using a stamp? I cant imagine he had enough requests, and passing in 66

I'd bet that he had quite a few requests. He was the catcher in the famous Eddie Gaedel photo. And he played for 14 years, won a WS ring, and coached/managed in the minors and majors.

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

Red stamp? :wink:

• Options
    airjoedanairjoedan Posts: 776 ✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2017 7:33PM

I forgot to update this post last week...

Interesting development:

I already destroyed the Swift and York autographs as I personally believed them to be a stamp for sure. The Southworth I kept mainly because of potential value if it were real (and because there was never a definitive opinion offered that it was a stamp).

I still felt strongly that it looked like a stamp and went looking again on eBay for some exemplars (currently in active eBay listings)...

New development:

So, I will be destroying this one as well as I have now found a stamp match. I was very surprised to find the match but glad that I can finally close this one out. I sent an FYI to the seller last week with the same photo comparison above (just as an FYI) with a side-by-side. Looks the same to me.

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2017 7:40PM

You should also contact PSA/DNA, and send them scans of the two "signatures". Hopefully, they can then decertify that encapsulated fake.

Edited to add: I would also contact the seller on ebay, and send him a scan of your "signature". I would hope that, upon seeing it, he will do the right thing, and take the item down and destroy it.

Steve