Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

What year is this vending box

This is on its way to me and I took a gamble thinking it's a 77 but it's hard to say

It never leaves you...

Comments

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

Vending boxes were reused for multiple years. What is last digit of product code on bottom of the box?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Not sure, I chimed in late so I didn't have the chance to ask. For 20 bucks it's more fun than a scratch off lotto ticket. Did a little research and it seems that it could be 77 79 or 80

It never leaves you...
  • ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

I think they used those same boxes till the late 80s early 90s...Tim would know best though.

• BcookieBcookie Posts: 57 ✭✭

Sealed in plastic... hmmm

• same boxes but the font of the stamp on top was isolated to only a couple years. It could be searched for all I know but I'm looking forward to finding out!

It never leaves you...
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

If that cost you only $20, you're in a no-lose situation! :smiley:

Steve

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

Sure it's not a '52? LOL

Damn, if you get either of those 3 years ... for $20.00 ... you did well.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
    edited January 30, 2017 7:14PM

I would expect it to be searched unless the seller truly had no idea what he had, but at $20 it's certainly worth finding out. $20 for a searched vending box from that era is still a good deal. Here is my BBCE wrapped 77 vending box FASC for comparison, the BASEBALL font for which is different from the box above.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • ....and then there's this (a '77 that sold last month) which backs up the fact that they used them for a couple three year span...

It never leaves you...

Yes, that pretty much illustrates that you can't just go by the font when determining what year the box is from.